Previous topicNext topic

MONARCH Physical synth and visualizer

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
artnik

MONARCH Physical synth and visualizer

Post by artnik »

Hey, it's been a while.

I'd like to share my latest Magic-enabled project. It's a hand-made instrument and visualizer called MONARCH that I'm debuting next Saturday at http://www.silencesounds.ca/ gallery in Guelph, Canada.

MONARCH is an idiophonic butterfly-shaped physical synth. Comprised of 38 magnetically-tunable oscillators, 4 kalimba elements, 6 strings, 2 removable steel picks, and a playable reverb spring. Contact mic'd internally with a piezo transducer, it combines the ability to play as a picked/plucked instrument as well as percussively.

I've been exploring instrument making for the past several months, to close the loop with Magic and generate the audio I'm interpreting. Upcoming plans involve winding my own pickups, and building oscillator circuits to combine with the physical oscillators.

Here's a render of the output, as well as some stills and a picture of the physical instrument. The piece in the video is performed by the composer POLLY BEATS, after experimenting with MONARCH for a couple of hours.

Cheers!

monarch_01.png
monarch_01.png (881.19 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
monarch_02 copy.jpg
monarch_02 copy.jpg (826.16 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
MONARCH_INSTRUMENT.jpg
MONARCH_INSTRUMENT.jpg (665.63 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
Sadler

Re: MONARCH Physical synth and visualizer

Post by Sadler »

Lovely clean visuals and a great reflection of the instrument both visually and in how the visuals match the sound. That looks like 3D butterfly wings and body - very crisp. The butterfly kaleidoscope is an intriguing use of that effect, recreating myriad wings within wings. I hope the arts festival goes well.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Thanks Sadler. I wanted to keep them relatively sparse so there's a nice balance between the performance of the physical object, and the interpretation. So excited to see how people play with it.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Wow! Really great. Especially with the 3D model. Record some video of your show and post it please! :)
artnik

Post by artnik »

Thanks Eric! I always plan to, never quite seem to get around.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Imaginative and beautiful, in so many dimensions. Great work!
LMan

Post by LMan »

Wow! Especially love the color-play on the butterfly's wings.