Previous topicNext topic

Minimise/Maximise Modules

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Reigel

Minimise/Maximise Modules

Post by Reigel »

Hi,
I have a wish (its xmas time):
I am not really happy with the way modules mimize and maximaze back again because the little +/- boxes move when doing so. I understand that it is intended to really minimize that means also horizontally shrinking to the limit. But it would be a big help to implement the "normal" behavior of min/max windows whith double clicking onto the title bar. So I never have to search for the little boxes, just double clicking somewehere onto the bar will do the job.

And there is maybe? a bug: When double clicking now the first parameter in the module is reset to default. That makes no sense imhop, it is in fact a bit dangerous.

Best
Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Minimise/Maximise Modules

Post by Magic »

I'm not sure I agree with you ;). Regardless of how you minimize/maximize something, the buttons will never be in the same place.

If you are looking to minimize/maximize quickly, you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl/Cmd+M.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Yes, the buttons maybe wherever they want. But the title bar is more or less allways at the same place. Clicking onto that is easy. Don't have to move the mouse at all.
It is a real problem when performing and You have to do some fast changes. Keyboard shortcuts are often a good help. But in this case it forces both hands to work on just a realtively simple task - clicking onto the module and typing. I would prefer to have my other hand on my controllers and do changes in the modules with just the mouse. It is faster and safer.
Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, but if it's so critical that you do fast changes, why minimize the module at all?
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

I have some scenes with a really big count of modules. One has 20 images each treated with HueSat, scale, translate and rotate and some more fx. This is not a problem of processing but just to get them all placed and accessible. And looking into one image module to load another image while performing is one of the situations because the title bar shrinks by some 50 % when minimized. So here the button jumps really a big way.

Anyway You should please look into that problem with double click resetting the first parameter of a module. Or is that intended? It feels dangerous to me because this happens also with a minimised module. So You can't see whats going on if an unintended double click happened. You just panic.
Reinhard
DemBambiSeiMudder

Post by DemBambiSeiMudder »

I believe the double click reset action was something I read in the last release notes. So it is intended I guess.

I also had some negative feelings about the button moving in the past. Now that you started the Reigel opened this topic I want to give it a +1 :-)
How about aligning the minimize/maximize buttons to the left of the title bar? Then they would stay at the same position.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

How about aligning the minimize/maximize buttons to the left of the title bar? Then they would stay at the same position.
Yes that might be an option. But it might also be strange for there to be buttons on both sides. Not sure.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

The problem is that we do not have a fixed width of minimized module bars. So if You do not want to have a fixed width it would be logical to me to have all buttons on the left side which is always fixed (and I would opt for the bypass and power buttons always on top!). Or You decide to have a fixed width. I can find some benefit with both settings.

Reinhard
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

...in addition: If "show annotation" is chosen we have a constant width already and we see the power button. Of course we lose some space because of a second line and constant width of modules. But this is a good trade off for me.
It then would be consequent to show also the bypass button. So a basic operation is still possible and we can see a lot of information. Given that we then also can use a color for annotation background comes close to what I am looking for. If now we can get some scheme to indicate whether a module is active in the chain, lets say bypass turns colors grey, power off turns letters into white, then we are fine. A last convenience would be to have a global choice of showing annotations by default (being able to switch off individually of course).

Reinhard