Previous topicNext topic

Switching Between Modules

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Slavi

Switching Between Modules

Post by Slavi »

Hi Team,

I am trying to do something and I have the feeling there is a better way to execute it.
Please check the pic bellow:
Midi_Switch.png
Midi_Switch.png (64.28 KiB) Viewed 8679 times
I have a bunch of scenes, that I would like to toggle ON/OFF based on... my mood :) . I've used this tutorial viewtopic.php?f=3&t=986, but I don't like that the screnes disappear right away and there is no fade out or some transition.

I have http://www.akaipro.com/microsites/apcse ... pcmini.jpg and I want to map to each button a scene and during my live perfomance to mix them alltogether (that is why I can't use the integrated Playlist feature in Magic).
Mix/Multimix doesn't work for me as well, since I have to scroll trought all scenes before I get to the one I want.

After a couple of performances, I have come to the conclusion that a simillar set up is the most optimal one for live shows, but I can't stop to think, there is a better way than mine.

Any feedback ?

Regards,
S.
blackdot

Re: Switching Between Modules

Post by blackdot »

you could have them all active, and then control their visibility with your midi buttons. to get a smooth fade in/out, you could add the "smooth" modifier.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (71.08 KiB) Viewed 8676 times
use your midi button on the brightness and alpha value of the colorHSB module to make them go transparent (set the saturation to 0). use the smooth modifier to make them fade in and out to your liking. in this example i have my midi buttons in toggle mode.

P.S. as far as i remember, eric once said that doing transparency this way is the most efficient way.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

How about this...

Set one set of buttons to queue A scenes and another set to queue B scenes via an input selector then mix each set. e.g choose A1 cross fade to A, choose B5, cross fade to B, and so on. Problem is you'd have to be careful not to queue on the set you're viewing.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If you want everything to be in the same scene so you can mix them together arbitrarily, then what blackdot said is the most efficient:
use your midi button on the brightness and alpha value of the colorHSB module to make them go transparent
But, for maximum efficiency, you should also link the same MIDI command to the Power parameter of each scene module. This way, when the scene isn't visible, it won't be active. Otherwise it will be active but invisible, which is a waste of your precious FPS :).
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

hmm that's a good point actually. *goes optimizing his scenes*
Slavi

Post by Slavi »

Hi,

Thank you all for the insights! Super helpful!

I have made the suggestion of blackdot
you could have them all active, and then control their visibility with your midi buttons. to get a smooth fade in/out, you could add the "smooth" modifier.
Works Great!

However, now I am trying to have what Eric added:
But, for maximum efficiency, you should also link the same MIDI command to the Power parameter of each scene module.
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (24.31 KiB) Viewed 8631 times
But now, when I hit my MIDI button, the scene is turned OFF before the fade out and vice versa. I've tried to put a delay on the Power, but it doesn't work. :?

Any advises ?

Regards,
S.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Basically what you want is for the Power to be off when the incoming MIDI value is 0, but on for all other incoming MIDI values. So I would suggest one of the following:
PowerOffAtZeroOnly.jpg
PowerOffAtZeroOnly.jpg (18.73 KiB) Viewed 8626 times
The first solution isn't perfect, but it's probably sufficient for most purposes. Basically it's saying "if the incoming value is greater than or equal to .0001, output 1. Otherwise output 0." (Magic is limited to displaying 4 decimal places, so .0001 is the smallest number above 0.)

But the second solution is theoretically perfect (if a bit harder to understand). It's saying "If the incoming value is greater than 0, output 1. Otherwise output 0." This is the "ternary if-then-else operator", which is a convenient shorthand for the more verbose if-then-else statement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%3F:#Cond ... assignment
Slavi

Post by Slavi »

Hi,

AND THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I don't know, if I misunderstood something, but I've only managed to make it work when x>0.1?1:0
3.png
3.png (11.78 KiB) Viewed 8599 times
I have a final question :oops:

Do I need to cut off the power at the begging of the scene:
2.png
2.png (46.39 KiB) Viewed 8599 times
Or I can cut the power anywhere I want:
4.png
4.png (61.74 KiB) Viewed 8599 times
And still keep optimal performance ?
Just from practical point of view, it would be much more convenient to have the fade out and On/Off in the same place.

Also, in my case I've received the perfect results when I made it super sensitive to x>0.0001?1:0

Thank you once again!

Not that I haven't before, but now I will even more recommend Magic to everyone I know! My admirations!

Regards,
S.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Just from practical point of view, it would be much more convenient to have the fade out and On/Off in the same place.
You're right :), you can also do it in the ColorHSB module as you indicated in your green example.
Also, in my case I've received the perfect results when I made it super sensitive to x>0.0001?1:0
Yes, if you are using a Smooth modifier, it will take a LONG time to get to exactly 0 :). So .0001 is perfectly fine.