Previous topicNext topic

Time-based activity

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
OldNick

Time-based activity

Post by OldNick »

Is there a way to cause activity based on timeline?

I cab create audio files that do the job, but are there easier ways>

Thanks for any help

Nick
artnik

Re: Time-based activity

Post by artnik »

Not really. AFAIK, the closet thing is the PLAYLIST.

Having said that, you could use an external MIDI program that has a timeline, and use it to trigger visuals in Magic.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Is there a way to cause activity based on timeline?
What kind of activity are you looking for?
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Thanks for the replies.

A for instance would be that something that is reacting to music in "real time" (changing rapidly according to audio) would also slowly move around the screen as required, or slowly change size etc.

What I have done so far (2-3 hours into using the programme) is to create an audio track that is one long note, with an envelope that starts at nothing, builds to max volume then dies away to nothing again. I then use that to control the position/size etc of the entity I want to make change slowly.

Nick
artnik

Post by artnik »

Oh. Look into the MODIFIERS in general, and the EXPRESSION modifier. It sounds like a timeline would not be necessary for those kinds of things.

MODIFIERS let you use math operations to change things, with or without audio input, so, for example, you could use an INCREASE modifier with a small value to slowly change the size of an object over time. (Use NO SOURCE if you want only the modifier to change the attribute).

https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... Guide.html
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

OK....hmmm...I tried a bit of a play and I see the reasoning, but my days of learning languages/references for programming are over, after many fascinating years. :)

Also the problem there would be to match it to music time. I may just stick with what my arty old mind can handle, and use audio envelopes. Sculptor by nature......and that in clay. For me, I reckon it would be easier to go to my music and add tracks that I can use to cause time-based behaviour.

Nick
artnik

Post by artnik »

Well, not really programming. That aspect is in the visual module layout and wiring, more than the modifiers.

For example, if you set an audio source, and then use an INCREASE modifier with 0.0 as it's input then it will increase, but only in response to the audio cue. Once you grok it, it's pretty easy to use a handful of Modifiers to make pretty complex behaviour that totally responds to the audio.

But, I can totally see the elegance in your approach. It's a cool idea for how to introduce time-based control.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

If you want to work in MMV and have exact but organic responses to music and then replay it without interaction you could perform with a midi controller and record the midi. You can then use that midi file to replay the recorded interaction many times.
starts at nothing, builds to max volume then dies away to nothing again
If you are not terribly worried about exact matching to music then parameters can have long running modifiers (e.g. Ramp) which would achieve this.

This is what I did for this video: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1056
Which has the number of particles growing slowly and steadily to match the audio. I also used the playlist for that video to mark the start of the particles.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I agree with Sadler. The best way to have a "sculpted" response is with a MIDI file: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... DIPlayback. If you want to see a fun example of a MIDI file in action, select Help > Open Sample Project and choose "MIDIFileExample.magic".

Or, an alternative would be some kind of MIDI timeline software which can be connected to Magic, such as this one: http://imimot.com/vezer/
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

vezer is currently mac only. IanniX is available for all three platforms.

https://www.iannix.org/en/whatisiannix/
Nickl

Post by Nickl »

I have tried using midi files but have a problem with latency. I have taken the drum part for one of my songs and extracted a midi file for each of the kick and snare, with a view to having a visual pulsing in time with the beats. I haven't timed it precisely, but there is about a 2 second delay between the beat and the pulse appearing. I spent a couple of hours fiddling around trying to compensate for this but in the end found that using the audio tracks, rather than the midi files, for the kick and snare, worked perfectly.

Also, are there any plans to link the playlist to midi files rather than just controllers? It would be quicker for me to layout the playlist sequence in a midi file in my DAW whilst I am working on a song.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

there is about a 2 second delay between the beat and the pulse appearing.
Hmm, there shouldn't be any delay. When you try the "MIDIFileExample.magic" sample project, do you get the same problem?
Also, are there any plans to link the playlist to midi files rather than just controllers?
Yes, I do have plans for that :).
Nickl

Post by Nickl »

Eric,

I used the midiexample project as my starting point and just substituted my own wav and midi files (file attached). Superficially it looks OK initially, but as time progresses the timing starts to slip. At around 25 seconds there is a snare drum roll and you can see that the relative visual appears at about 27 seconds. The timing gets worse as play continues. Its as if the midi files are playing at a slower bpm than the wav. I have checked both in my DAW and they all have the same 130 bpm.

MIDIFileExample_Mod.magic
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If the original MIDIFileExample project stays in sync on your computer, then the issue probably isn't with Magic itself. That project is over two minutes long, so it doesn't seem like there should be any desynchronization after 25 seconds.

I can't really examine your project though, unless you post a link to the midi and audio files you are using :).
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

I've already used midfiles and wav files together, exported from a Cubase song, and didn't notice any sync issues. With my current work I use wav stems, midi files for some parts (drums, lead) and another midi file, set on a specific channel, for controllers.
One thing I noticed in Cubase: you have to set the midi container to the exact same lenght as the audio file when exporting. Setting only the locators can sometimes skip empty measures in the midi file.

Also, are there any plans to link the playlist to midi files rather than just controllers?
Yes, I do have plans for that :).[/quote]

Good news!
Nickl

Post by Nickl »

Eric,

Link to files as requested.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wj41ara11123 ... FDkZa?dl=0

I am using StudioOne and the midi files were used to create the original drum part. I have tried opening a completely new session in StudioOne and loading the mixed audio file and the midi files, and they play in perfect sync. I suspect that I am missing something simple, but can't see what at the moment.

Very pleased to learn that you are planning to link midi files to the playlist.

Thanks
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Thanks. When I examine your MIDI files, I can see that their tempo is set to 120 bpm, not 130 bpm. Make sure that when you export them from your StudioOne project, the tempo gets set properly within the files themselves. I imagine there must be a setting for this somewhere, but I am not too familiar with StudioOne.
Nickl

Post by Nickl »

Thanks Eric. Strange, I have never experienced this before exporting midi files from a project - they have always retained the project bpm ( or at least, they appear to). I'll have to look more closely at what is peculiar about these midi files or the way that they were generated.

At least I know what to look out for now - thank you again.