Previous topicNext topic

DVI Output causing Spout problems?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
ofaroqui

DVI Output causing Spout problems?

Post by ofaroqui »

When I'm hooked up HDMI output from my laptop to HDMI input on my monitor my spout receiver shows up in resolume and everything works great.

When I'm hooked up MiniDP or HDMI or USB C to DVI output from my laptop to DVI input on my monitor the spout receiver doesn't show up. I still get a connection and can output video from resolume, but the spout driver fails to initialize or something. The second I switch back to a HDMI-HDMI connection the spout receiver shows up.

I'm thinking maybe Spout isn't HDCP compliant so it fails to initialize? If that's the case would I need like an HDMI splitter or something?
Magic
Site Admin

Re: DVI Output causing Spout problems?

Post by Magic »

Hmm, I'm not sure. I haven't heard of any HDCP issues with Spout. I assume you are referring to the Spout output from Magic?
leadedge

Post by leadedge »

Spout is using DirectX and OpenGL textures and there is no size limitation apart from what your graphics system allows.

If you have Optimus graphics it could be a problem where the DVI output is driven by the Intel graphics rather than NVIDIA. Then you might get the symptoms you describe. Do you see a Messagebox error at any time such as "Cannot create DirectX/OpenGL interop" ?

There might be something in the NVIDIA control panel to allow the NVIDIA processor to work with a given display instead of the Intel one. It could be more complicated, but this something to investigate.
dj0le

Post by dj0le »

leadedge wrote: If you have Optimus graphics it could be a problem where the DVI output is driven by the Intel graphics rather than NVIDIA. Then you might get the symptoms you describe. Do you see a Messagebox error at any time such as "Cannot create DirectX/OpenGL interop" ?
This sounds like the problem to me. Also, you can look in your nvidia display settings and it should show you which card is sending to the specific output. My laptop has dual dvi outputs, and both display spout so it's not a universal issue with DVi

The Spout page has a FAQ; check out the section on Optimus: http://spout.zeal.co/faq/ and you can ask in their forums as well. They are very quick to reply there.
ofaroqui

Post by ofaroqui »

To clarify: Yes i'm talking about the spout being used to send video from magic to resolume. I don't have DVI ports on the laptop, I have MiniDP, HDMI, USB C to DVI adapters. My intel graphics card is/has been disabled via device manager because I get no output from resolume with it enabled. And no error messages or anything, the spout output from magic isn't seen in resolume.

Something else I noticed is the spout output from magic to resolume doesn't work when I'm just using the laptop. I'm usually hooked up via HDMI to a monitor at home.

I think the Optimus thing may be the problem, I'll look into it. Thanks for all the responses.

MSI Stealth Pro 15.6" Full HD, Windows 10
Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 2.6 GHz w/ intel turbo boost 3.5 GHz
16 GB DDR4 RAM + 128GB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
GeForce GTX1060 w/ 6GB DDR5 memory
Outputs: HDMI, Mini DP, USB C (max 1 5k output or 2 4k outputs)