Previous topicNext topic

beatclock math magic

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
blackdot

beatclock math magic

Post by blackdot »

hi, I wanted to ask if anyone has made experience in modifying a beatclock to show inputs for different amounts of time.

i'll elaborate:
if you use the beatclock/4 feature, you can show 4 inputs on each beat like this (first row shows input, second row shows 4 beats as "I")

Code: Select all

I...I...I...I...
you can offset the beatclock of course but, each input is shown equally. what about eg this though:

Code: Select all

I...I...I...I...
if one uses an imagesequence/jpgfolder it seems natural to just use the right amount of the same/different pictures, but i wonder if theres a way to modify the beatclock to get the same effect.

cheers
Magic
Site Admin

Re: beatclock math magic

Post by Magic »

I've been thinking about this for a couple days and I haven't come up with anything, but have you tried playing around with the Expression modifier? I have a feeling there's a way to get it to work...
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

no i haven't come up with a solution myself, i think i severely lack the mathematical creativity for this :D. as far as i see this, as there are suddenly 5 inputs instead of 4, their threshold would be at 0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 instead of 0.00, 0.25, 0.50, 0.75... soo to acheive the desired effect, the beatclock would need to be slowed down for the first three, then sped up for the last two. but i have no idea how to do this, nor how do do this precisely :).

maybe something along the lines of "if ( x < 0.4, x*1.25, x*0.8 )" but that gives weird results ^^.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Here's sort of a way to do it, though you're stuck to a specific timing as it isn't off the midi clock.

Record a midi file, tapping out the rhythm on your controller 1.2.345. Then replay it on loop.

If you could then match this midi file to a beat clock or at least be able to change the playback speed.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Sadler wrote:Here's sort of a way to do it, though you're stuck to a specific timing as it isn't off the midi clock.

Record a midi file, tapping out the rhythm on your controller 1.2.345. Then replay it on loop.

If you could then match this midi file to a beat clock or at least be able to change the playback speed.
hmm yeah, but it wouldnt be tied to the beatclock right? that would actually be a great feature, if we could have the beatclock (or beatclock/2/4/etc) drive the speed of a recorded midi-file-loop. if we then could tap in midi loops on the fly, ehrmagerhd :D.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Having midi files locked to a midi clock would be interesting especially if the midi recording was tied to a param or global. This is getting into timeline territory though.

What about a new node for adding variability to beat triggering.
Sequencer Node suggestion
Sequencer Node suggestion
sequencer_node.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 4798 times
Would output what, midi? Some other control data between nodes? Something the MMV doesn't do currently.