Previous topicNext topic

working with wdm

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
damstraversaz

working with wdm

Post by damstraversaz »

Hi
I'm testing a new soundcard ( http://www.esi-audio.com/products/u22xt/ ) actually. This card have a nice feature, you can route the asio signal to MME and WDM directly in from the driver. That's really useful for using an audio software with asio and send the audio signal to magic : you can use 2 virtual asio outputs with a send bus, and link this output directly to 2 virtual MME or WDM input for magic. The performance is very good, and really easy to setup. the driver is good too ( with a buffer of 128, I have a latency of 2,9ms in/ 2,9 ms out )
I'm just testing it with one of my computer with 1.65, but magic seems to use only the MME inputs , as the wdm does not appears in the menu ( I can use it with reaper for exemple).
Is it possible to use WDM input ? actually WDM seems to be very interesting, ESI's technical team answers me that they use the Windows WDM driver model latency , with latency less than 10ms.
best,
Magic
Site Admin

Re: working with wdm

Post by Magic »

Magic doesn't support WDM unfortunately :(. Generally speaking, ASIO is considered to be superior to WDM, but admittedly it does depend somewhat on the sound card. However, WDM goes through the Windows mixer, which means it can alter the quality of the sound, not in a good way -- for example, changing the sample rate or the bit depth. For Magic, those things might not matter as much, but for recording they are important. ASIO goes directly to the application, not through the Windows mixer, so you get the perfect original sound, and usually at a lower latency.

Magic doesn't actually support MME either ;). Regular sound cards are accessed in Magic via WASAPI, which was introduced in Windows Vista and is generally superior to MME. MME runs on an emulation layer on top of WASAPI, but it's best if the sound card uses WASAPI directly (if ASIO isn't available).

Maybe you could try using ASIO4ALL to access your device in Magic?
damstraversaz

Re: working with wdm

Post by damstraversaz »

that's really interesting , thanks a lot for the details !

my english is very bad, and it was not exactly my question, but I have all the answers I need with your last post. I will try to explain it better if I can:

I'm using the asio driver of this soundcard directly in a DAW, and route the sound and midi messages for controlling Magic in the same time. ( MMV is really unique for this, I really the way of using data. Midi and audio can be use in the same way, like the same expression of the musicien for exemple. You have made a real work of lutherie).
then I'm routing audio from DAW to magic ( most of case with asio link pro). But for small installations, for exemple you just need two different inputs in magic, Esi's driver allows you to send the audio signal to wdm or mme device directly from the driver without extra cpu or memory usage.
The wdm fonction did not work with magic, but the mme did. I was really surprise to hear/see that the latency was very small, and that I can't notice it ( and I'm very sensitive to this). It seems that the esi driver send the audio via WASAPI when you are using the MME fonction of the driver. I did last year some tests with 3 soundcards , and all the asio to mme routing adds a noticable latency to the visuals.not in this case.

here is a real exemple . It was made some times ago during a creation, and the project is actually a lot more interesting, at least for visuals! Audio from a granular engine, samples and midi data are create inside a daw ( using a wireless DIY sensor ) then send to magic to generate the visual: