Previous topicNext topic

Scene selection

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Tsunoo

Scene selection

Post by Tsunoo »

Hello everyone!

I am trying to have a scene selector driven by the MIDI clock. I have 5 scenes :

- scene 1: 20 video files plugged into an input selector. The index is changed on beat. Works fine.
- scenes 2, 3 and 4: 30 GL shaders plugged into an input selector, and a transform module after the selector (3 different transformations, thus the 3 scenes). The index of each input selector is changed on beat. Each scene alone works fine.
- scene 5: pictures triggered on beat. Works fine.

I then have a final scene, where I want to mix everything: scene 5 is always visible, in the background. And I have an input selector to switch between scenes 1 to 4, triggered on MIDI beat/4. When the input selects scene 1 (videos), everything goes fine: I get a different video on each measure (MIDI beat/4). But when the input selects scenes 1-3, it's always the same GL shader that is selected; it looks like the input selectors from scenes 1-3 have no effect.

So my question is: what is the best practice to have a "scene selector"? I tried with a multi-mix module in the final scene and I get the same result.

Thank you!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Scene selection

Post by Magic »

it looks like the input selectors from scenes 1-3 have no effect.
Hmm, I'm not sure why that wouldn't work. Could you post some screenshots of your scenes?
Tsunoo

Post by Tsunoo »

Here are the scenes :

- "fractal beat" is scene 5
- "videos" is scene 1
- "animation" xx are scenes 2, 3 and 4
Attachments
scene3.jpg
scene3.jpg (42.08 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
scene2.jpg
scene2.jpg (39.37 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
scene1.jpg
scene1.jpg (23.26 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
Tsunoo

Re: Scene selection (continued)

Post by Tsunoo »

Images (continued)
Attachments
final.jpg
final.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
scene5.jpg
scene5.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
scene4.jpg
scene4.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Your "Animation" scenes are feeding into a MultiMix module, but the MultiMix module is set to 0. So, only the first Animation scene is ever displayed.

Maybe that's the problem?
Tsunoo

Post by Tsunoo »

When the MultiMix module is set to 0, the first Animation is displayed and it behaves normally: the Input Selector in the Animation scene works fine and the differente GL Shaders are displayed one after the other. This is the result I want to have.

However, when I link the MultiMix Parameter to the MIDI clock, it changes from 0 to 2 and should select one of the 3 Animation scenes I have. When it does so, each of the Animation scenes (Animation, Animation 1 and Animation 1 1) seems to restart: the Input Selector of each Animation scene is reset to 0. It looks like the Input Selectors from Animation scenes are not running independently from the Final scene.

I don't know if I made myself clear...
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I think I understand. The issue is that InputSelector and MultiMix reset their input modules when the input changes. And when a module is reset, its modifiers are also reset. So in the Animation scene's InputSelector, the Trigger modifier resets to 0 when the Final scene's MultiMix changes. Does that make sense?

Maybe I should add an option to InputSelector/MultiMix to *not* reset the input module(s)?
Tsunoo

Post by Tsunoo »

Thanks Eric for the explanation. Everything makes sense now. I guess that the option you mentioned would solve my issue :-).
Tsunoo

Post by Tsunoo »

Hi Eric,

I guess you spend your whole time on version 2.0 of MMV. Any chance to get this "do not reset the inputs" option in version 1.65+ ? Or do I have to wait for version 2.0 ?

Thanks again.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Believe me, I am always trying my very best to implement everyone's requests :). I do have to balance them all though, and it's hard to know to when certain things will get done. What I can promise is that your request is on my list, and I will get to it as soon as I humanly can :).
Tsunoo

Post by Tsunoo »

Thank you for your answer, Eric. I know you work hard, be sure I appreciate this !