Previous topicNext topic

Sync video between Ableton Live and MMV Performer

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Dark8Zero

Sync video between Ableton Live and MMV Performer

Post by Dark8Zero »

I have been able to Ableton Live to trigger a video in MMV with MIDI but it only starts the video and is not 'synced'. The issue is that once a video is triggered and playing in MMV if we pause the video within Live the MMV video continues playing. I have not been able to figure out how to truly 'sync' videos on both systems so that if we pause a video in Live it pauses the video in MMV (then restarts, etc together). I 'think' this would be some type of clock or timecode communication between systems but not sure if possible or how to setup.

Added info: We have a setlist of videos in Live that are each going to be 'synced' with videos in MMV. As the videos progress on the Live timeline we will have individual MIDI notes to trigger each video in MMV. The hope if that each video has the start/pause syncing capability outlined above.

Thank you in advance for input and I can upload screenshots or provide additional information as needed.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Sync video between Ableton Live and MMV Performer

Post by Magic »

I think the best solution would be to link the VideoFile module's Speed parameter. A speed of 1 is normal playback, and a speed of 0 is paused. If you connect this to a MIDI trigger that happens when you play/pause in Ableton, the video will correspondingly play/pause.

Does that help?
Dark8Zero

Post by Dark8Zero »

Hi Eric, I get the gist of your instructions but not sure how to do that in Ableton. I did some research but haven't found out how to setup Live as you instruct. Any chance there are more specific instructions on the MMV forum or elsewhere you know of?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

To be honest I am not an expert in Ableton :(. There might be some other users here who know the answer, but basically you'd need to find out how to get the play/pause button to send out a MIDI command.

Or, an alternative solution would be to find out how to get Ableton to *receive* a MIDI command that controls play/pause. Then you could also control Magic with the same command. You'd just need a separate third-party MIDI controller (hardware or software).

Doing a very quick search, I found this link, which might help: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/midi- ... e-control/. Near the top of the page, it says "2. Switches and buttons — ... transport controls", which I think includes the play/pause buttons. So it does seem possible.
Dark8Zero

Post by Dark8Zero »

Eric, thanks for the added info, I will work on setup. Once I get things figured out I will upload the steps here for others :)