Previous topicNext topic

Midi not working (all the time)

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
D1gits

Midi not working (all the time)

Post by D1gits »

Hi all. Im here at Edinburgh fringe festival running my new show. The show it self is kind of complex with a lot of OSC and midi ques from and to programs. I have discovered that Magic sometimes does not receive Midi as it should. But if I restart Magic a few times it all start to run as expected. The midi I'm using is the internal one of OS X (I AC midi). And I have made a specific virtual midi device for magic. It feels like magic's midi functionality is on or off somehow.

I've also had a few crashes.

Anyone have a similar experience or how to make it more stable?

All the best. D1gits
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Midi not working (all the time)

Post by Magic »

Are you certain that Magic is the source of the issues? It sounds like your setup is complicated enough that something else might be happening with the MIDI before it gets to Magic. Right now I can't think of a reason Magic would lose any MIDI messages.
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

That might be true. The fact that restarting Magic a few times made the whole difference in making magic receive MIDI, made me think that the problem was on Magic's side. Have you heard of anyone else with these problems Eric? Just want to be able to run the show without crashes and glitches...

Any way you can think of, in how to determine where the problem is?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Have you heard of anyone else with these problems Eric?
Unfortunately I haven't :(.
Just want to be able to run the show without crashes and glitches...
Besides the lost MIDI messages, are you experiencing other crashes/glitches with Magic? If so, can you describe them a little bit?
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Sure thing Eric!

To begin, Im on a 2013 MacPro 3.7 GHz Xeon E5, 64gig ram with two FirePro D700 (12gig Video Ram). Still when I start Magic the "waiting wheel" spinns for quite a while (almost every time). And when running "force quit" it says that the program is not answering...

Ive had a few perfect shows this far. But still I often need to restart or force quit Magic and start it again. Mainly because Magic does not register midi ques that I send from QLab. All other programs do register the MIDI when I have tested it.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok thanks. So Magic isn't actually crashing then? Just loading/quitting slowly? I assume this is with v1.65?

One of my customers does visuals for a lot of really big shows (including The Who), and he regularly uses Magic on his system, which is very similar to yours. To my knowledge, he hasn't had any of the issues you're describing. Here is his MacPro setup:
•3.0GHz 8-core CPU with 25MB of L3 cache
•64GB [4x16GB] of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC RAM
•1TB PCIe-based flash storage
•2 x 6GB GDDR5 VRAM AMD FirePro D700 GPUs

(For more information you can check out his full rig which is at http://ultimaproductions.net/MediaServe ... System.pdf. You can see Magic in some of the photos, including the first one :).)

So I don't think it's your system that's the problem necessarily, but I don't think it's Magic either. I'm just not really sure what else it could be. Is there any way you could capture some video of your desktop that shows the slow loading/quitting?
I often need to restart or force quit Magic and start it again. Mainly because Magic does not register midi ques that I send from QLab. All other programs do register the MIDI when I have tested it.
Which MIDI messages are getting lost? Are they for Playlist scene changes? Or for module parameters? If so, which one(s) exactly?
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Nice pdf Eric. Thats almost my setup : )

Well It works better now. It seem to bo important, when I start what program. For me It works better if I start whit Magic early on. And its a huge difference if I have all my sound cards, capture cards, midi cards, thunderbolt hubs connected or not. When the computer is by It self (nothing connected) it all starts up in a snap.

Frustrating to not have the answer to, why and how to make it 100% stable...

All the best.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Have you tried connecting your peripherals one at a time to see which one is causing the slowdown?
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Great Idea! I'll try that as soon as Im done with this gig month... As it is now, my rack is quite hard to reach in inside. And all the hardware is connected to the computer thru one thunderbolt cable and a hub. But it's the right way to test it I think!