Previous topicNext topic

MIDI troubles

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
cosmicinsight

MIDI troubles

Post by cosmicinsight »

I'm having trouble getting magic to recognize my MIDI device, my mac recognizes it but the program itself does not. This is the only MIDI device I have ever owned so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
cosmicinsight

Re: MIDI troubles

Post by cosmicinsight »

figured everything out! Just started going in and out of various audio programs and suddenly it was listed in the drop down menus.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I think what's happening is that some MIDI devices can't be used in more than one application at a time.
cosmicinsight

Post by cosmicinsight »

it almost seemed more like the other program woke it up/jogged it, not really sure but it can still run in multiple applications at the same time.
antas

Post by antas »

Just upgraded to windows 10 on the one pc and cannot get the midi recognized by Magic. Tried compatibility modes..still no success. .. advised to use LoopBe1..
Have had success with LoopBe1 before but not this time.

Want to use Magic as part of biofeedback. Map specific instrument to specific graphic and also maybe frequency band to specific graphic.

Did not have much success while ago and now at point that I have to make this work somehow.

Is there a specific interface for LoopBe1 other than the Mute window where I can specify what the two programs are that should be connected? cannot find one ...found tutorial online that shows interface ...cannot find any further reference to it anywhere else.

Can anyone help me please..would really appreciate it!
antas

Post by antas »

Now even the Midi learn window's Start is greyed out! How do I solve this?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I can tell you that Windows 10 seems to be less compatible with certain MIDI hardware compared to Windows 7/8. I have no idea why. Other users have reported the same thing.
Is there a specific interface for LoopBe1 other than the Mute window where I can specify what the two programs are that should be connected? cannot find one ...found tutorial online that shows interface ...cannot find any further reference to it anywhere else.
There is no interface. It just passes along any MIDI input it receives. It's not supposed to be used directly with a MIDI controller; it's intended for connecting the MIDI output of one application to the input of another application.

You might want to look into more sophisticated utilities such as http://www.bewaryprods.com/software/pro ... sMIDIfier/, but in that case, the compatibility with Windows 10 isn't directly obvious, and I'm not even sure it will solve the problem.

Have you gotten your MIDI device to work on Windows 10 with any other program besides Magic?
antas

Post by antas »

Have not tried and only recently did the upgrade. Will see if I can find something else to work. And thanks will try Transmidifier.

For some reason no matter what I do the Start learn midi button now remains greyed out. Have installed other midi software and on their own they work fine but not in conjunction with Magic.. so still searching..
dj0le

Post by dj0le »

Also, it could be the OS upgrade that is causing you trouble. I had numerous issues when I originally upgraded from Win7 to Win10, although mostly with the graphics. The only solution I ever found was to do a 'clean' install of Win10. Once I did that, everything worked straight away.

I would recommend doing a clean install if that is an option and see if it helps. It's a pain, but it is totally worth it.
antas

Post by antas »

Hi again ..this is where I am at the moment.. got it working for short while and then stopped again.

Started looking further..more trial and error ...someone suggested installing VirtualMIDISynth mixer.. as MIDI was changed in Windows 10 Midi mapper not working anymore.
Installed Virtual MIDISynth mixer and found the following video link that shows how to change registry so Windows 10 uses it instead...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfbbzN9XuPw

Also someone suggested I install Van Basco's Karaoke player. This help a lot as I can now see that everything is working and MIDI soundfont I installed with VirtualMIDISynth sound a lot better than what Windows was using.

Back to Magic ...and trying to get it to see VanBasco's but no success yet. Supposedly with Virtual MIDISynth it is not necessary to use LoopBe1. I have tried Magic with and without it ..still MIDI learn not finding it.

If anyone has any further suggestions please post..
antas

Post by antas »

It seems to be working all of a sudden and get it to see midi most of the time now after the previous steps. What would be great is some further detail regarding MIDI basics eg 16 channels and examples of what different settings effect would be practically.. as it the nomenclature is not always consistent..
The explanations on Magic help could be expanded with examples. If someone has the time to do tutorial or has done it please post.

My initial need is just to have the ability to map a graphic to responds to a specific midi channel. Have looked at various basic tuturials and most copy and paste of previous tutorials so not helping much. Examples would really help..
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Have you tried using the MIDI Learn feature? It's the easiest way to assign your MIDI commands. You shouldn't have to worry about channel assignments unless you are doing advanced stuff. See https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... #MIDILearn
antas

Post by antas »

By now I would think so. ...The scope of what I would like to go further with is quite intense and the midi side only one aspect of it. Experimenting with it has not really achieved much of what i would like.

First prize would be to have an actual conversation with someone who knows what you mean with the way Magic has structured MIDI and is also familiar with Midi in general past the basics. I use some other software that is linking to Magic ...this software is similar in a way to the interface of Magic and has more mainstream nomenclature. Basically taking a EEG signal output and linking to Magic..It has it's own multimedia system than can also be a bit more quirky..hence I need someone who knows a lot more than I do about MIDI and will recognize how it has been implemented in the EEG software..and how they relate to each other.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Why don't you take Magic out of the picture and monitor your midi source.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/su ... ontroller/
antas

Post by antas »

Thanks that is helpful, will definitely do it...
antas

Post by antas »

Midi-OX has definitely been helpful. It is 32 bit and not necessary windows 10 friendly but it gives some useful information.

Here is something that has now come up...

Can configure input MIDI and use learn function in Magic to plot channels and graphics to respond to specific channels ...great
Now also want to plot other Stereo channels to other graphics.....

When only MIDI input ...why do the other Stereo channels react to the MIDI channels when their Input set to Stereo and no stereo input playing at the time.?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. When you say "stereo channels", do you mean audio?
antas

Post by antas »

Yes
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

MIDI input can be used at the same time as audio. Like this:

In this example, the first two inputs are audio, and the third is MIDI. You can select any of these inputs in your modules. Your selection will determine whether the module reacts to audio or to MIDI.

Does that help?
antas

Post by antas »

Nope sorry. I have it set up with the different channels eg midi and other 'audio' input as you put it. When I switch the other midi signal off ...the midi graphics then still react to the 'audio' input..
I was under the impression they are all 'tuned in' separately...graphic one listens input 1 ....graphic 2 listens to input 2 ..graphic 3 listens only to midi or whatever way it has been set up. If I am not explaining it clearly enough then let me know and I will have another go ... I put maybe a small video clip showing what is happening..
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes a video clip would be helpful :).