Previous topicNext topic

[solved] ]Goto Start threshold and modifier bypassing

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
blackdot

[solved] ]Goto Start threshold and modifier bypassing

Post by blackdot »

I noticed that the threshold of the Goto Start of the videofile module seems to be at 0.5. And it's only triggered when the value changes from <= 0.5 to > 0.5, but not the other way around. Is there a specific reason for this? I initially assumed Goto Start = true if the value is 1 or something like that.

It poses a problem for me, because i'm trying to rig a video file up in a way, so that the beatclock/4 triggers Goto Start every 4 beats, but i additionally want to have manual control over it, so that it also goes to start when i press a midi button. Having assumed that it's triggered when the value is 1, i added an offset modifier that is controlled by my midi button which would toggle it to 1, however i noticed it's not working properly due to the 0.5 threshold.

Would there be another way to achieve my goal?

I figured if i could have modifiers, that are bypassed if the midi button sends 0, and are not bypassed if the button sends 1, it would be possible with an expression (or scale and add) modifier like 0x+1, but i cant seem to figure out how to do this as well without changing the actual output that my midi controller sends. Maybe that would be a good feature request? to invert the param range of a midi-controlled modifier? or is it possible already somehow :shock: ?

thanks a lot :)
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Goto Start threshold and modifier bypassing

Post by Magic »

I noticed that the threshold of the Goto Start of the videofile module seems to be at 0.5. And it's only triggered when the value changes from <= 0.5 to > 0.5, but not the other way around. Is there a specific reason for this?
Yup, the reason is that most beats look like a spike in volume, but a spike does have a length, and usually you would only want the beginning of the spike to trigger the parameter -- not the end.

For example, let's say this is what the volume of a beat looks like over time: ^___^___^___^___. You would only want the trigger to happen on the left side of the ^ (on the way "up"). If it happened on the way down also, you could get two triggers in rapid succession. It doesn't look as nice.
Would there be another way to achieve my goal?
A pretty simple solution is to go into the Playlist's drop down menu and make sure that Synchronize Modules on Reselect is enabled. Now, you can repeatedly trigger the same playlist entry (with MIDI if you want), and it will reset the whole scene, which includes rewinding the Video module if the Scene Start option is selected.

The only disadvantage is that maybe you don't want the entire scene to be reset, but I thought I'd at least suggest it as the first potential solution :).
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

ah yes for using volumes that actually makes a lot of sense.

in my scenario i'm still trying to switch between videos/otherSources within the same scene so i'm not limited by the amount of midi buttons on my controllers.

the other thing with the inverted behaviour of learned params is not possible currently, without modifying my controllers output (which is also an option og course)?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

the other thing with the inverted behaviour of learned params is not possible currently, without modifying my controllers output (which is also an option og course)?
Not currently, but I'm hoping global variables could be used for that kind of thing eventually.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

ok i'll modify my controller then 8-)
blackdot

Re: [solved] ]Goto Start threshold and modifier bypassing

Post by blackdot »

i figured a way around this.

- invert so it goes from 0 to 1
- offset and wrap to correct the offset of the beatclock a bit
- offset to 0.49, so at the first beat of the four, it triggers the go-to-start, and not somewhere in the middle
- the expression is bypassed with a (toggling) midi button
- the offset gets the parameter of a momentary midi button

so this way i can un-bypass this with one midi button, making the whole module listen to the second midi button which lets the value jump from 0.49 to 1, thus triggering.

noice. :D

this way i can just "turn on" the beatclock if i'm too tired to manually press buttons :).