Previous topicNext topic

Proper way to cycle images in jpeg folder synced to MIDI

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
SoundRehabAustria

Proper way to cycle images in jpeg folder synced to MIDI

Post by SoundRehabAustria »

Hi!

I tried several ways but not convinced I fully figured it out yet how to properly use the JpegFolder module to cycle images synced to MIDI clock.

MIDI clock comes from Sonar running on a different PC.

I'm looking for the settings to show 1 jpg per 1/2 measure, per measure, per 2 measures ...

I have also noticed that some jpg take longer, some don't, irrespective of whether I have "Cache" checked in the JpegFolder module or not. Is there some rescaling going on in the background? Should I manually scale the pictures to a certain resolution first? If so, which is best for 1920x1080 visuals.

thanks.
blackdot

Re: Proper way to cycle images in jpeg folder synced to MIDI

Post by blackdot »

what exactly do you mean by measure? beat?

the beatclock comes in as value that goes from 1 to 0 on each beat, so if you use the beatclock on the "index" you can make it cycle through your whole jpeg folder in one beat. however to account for all your frames (let's assume you have 4) you need to scale it also. in my experience n-0.5 and a step modifier of 0.5 works best, so that all frames are displayed about the same amount of time. you also need an invert modifier so it goes from 0 to 1 instead. if you, instead of the regular beat clock, use the "beatclock /4", which distributes the incoming signal over 4 beats, this will look like this:
2016-05-25_0702.png
2016-05-25_0702.png (20.72 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
and will display 4 frames consecutively over 4 beats and synced to the beats. or 1 frame per 1 beat. if you now want 2 frames per beat you can just multiply the incoming beatclock first by 2, it will then cycles through those 4 frames twice in 4 beats.

btw, how are you getting your midi clock from one computer to the other?
SoundRehabAustria

Thanks. i had tried a similar solution using Bwat Clock => INVERT => Trigger = 0.01 => Scale = 0.5

However, with neither solution I get the desired result. I did some more "debugging" and it seems to be working OK as long as I use it in only one scene but if I have e.g. twice the setup for a split screen (i.e. two image folders incrementing at the same time) I get some missed increments (i.e. some pics just stay there longer)

It looks like Magic is not picking up every single MIDI beat / is skippig some beats - I don't know whether this is the fault of the MIDI clock that is being sent, the way Magic interprets the repeated clock ticks it gets presented, or if this is something where the multiple use of the MIDI beat clock causes some interference ...

BTW, I tried to use the SIne Osc operator instead to increment pics - works with and doesn't skip any but I cannot trigger it at the properly for the first time (so it never aligns with the music)
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

are you trying to display more than 127 pics per cycle? cause if so, you'd need to add a smooth modifier (eg 0.001) to interpolate between the midi steps, cause midi is limited to 127 steps.

btw, how are you getting your midi clock from one computer to the other?
SoundRehabAustria

No, it's only just a few (<20) pics per folder.

I'm using MIDI OUT (via a USB MIDI MATE) on the DAW and the same setup on the Magic Visuals PC, but I also need to use loopMIDI and a MIDI Translator Pro to re-route MIDI signals internally on the Magic Visuals PC
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

hmm i have no idea then. i'd assume that magic doesnt care if the incoming beatclock is used multiple times. is it possible that with these midi mate cables theres some sort of signal loss?

personally i havent made experience with sending midi signals frome one computer to another, but to verify or falsify that the transmission is the problem, you could try something else: http://www.nerds.de/en/ipmidi.html . theres a free full version for osx and a free demo for windows. ipmidi sends your midi signals from one computer to another over network. i assume you would need to install that on both computers, have them both in the same network and that this thingy should pop up in magic as input device.

if your problem persists, the connection is not at fault but either magic or your DAW. if the problem is gone, it's at least not magic's fault :).

maybe sb else has better suggestions though :).
SoundRehabAustria

I have meanwhile reworked the project to send discrete MIDI CC messages for the jpg index to be displayed. Works perfectly in sync now. Requires a bit more on the DAW side to configure but solves all my pics dropping / out of sync issues ...

Still, any suggestion to understand this situation would be more than welcome
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The Trigger modifier is definitely the best way to increase a parameter in response to a beat. Here is a post where I discussed it a bit: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=678&p=2986#p2986. The only difference is that you would use Beat Clock as the feature, rather than Volume.

I'm not sure why sending the index value would fix the sync issues... I'll have to think about it a bit.