Previous topicNext topic

would that be legitimate feature request?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
blackdot

would that be legitimate feature request?

Post by blackdot »

hi, hope a thread like this is ok, so eric can debunk certain request ideas because they're not thought through enough, are already planned to implement or arent possible due to software design or tech.

- stretching the beatclock over 2 and 4 beats was implemented at some point. is there a reason why it wasnt over 8 beats? electronic-ish music tends to have "music units" of 8 beats that themselves are composed of two 4 beat blocks. so that might come in handy.

- separating input from what is done with it, nodewise. eg: i have a jpgfolder with a few modifiers and midi inputs. now at a certain point i want to switch to an alternate sequence folder where the same modifers and inputs. so all that changes is the source that is inserted.

currently i would do it like this: set up an jpgseq folder node with all modifiers and inputs. copy it and select the alternate source for the copy. combine them in an inputselector or other mix node.
having modifiers and inputs on the imgseq node setting seperate from the input, e.g. a "source" node and the jpgfolder node with its rest could let me do this: have two source nodes that feed into an inputselector (or similar) which feeds into a " jpgfolder-rest" node.

would that make sense?

regards
alex
Magic
Site Admin

Re: would that be legitimate feature request?

Post by Magic »

- stretching the beatclock over 2 and 4 beats was implemented at some point. is there a reason why it wasnt over 8 beats? electronic-ish music tends to have "music units" of 8 beats that themselves are composed of two 4 beat blocks. so that might come in handy.
Sure, that's fine :). I don't really use the beat clock too much myself, so I've just been implementing the things people ask for.
- separating input from what is done with it, nodewise. eg: i have a jpgfolder with a few modifiers and midi inputs. now at a certain point i want to switch to an alternate sequence folder where the same modifers and inputs. so all that changes is the source that is inserted.
The reason I've avoided having File/Folder parameters be controllable in real-time is that it can cause a significant drop in the frame rate. For good real-time performance, all the files in an entire project should be loaded when the project first loads. Even for the JpegFolder module, which is designed for real-time performance, the folder is still scanned when the project loads so that the module knows how many images there are and if any are invalid.
currently i would do it like this: set up an jpgseq folder node with all modifiers and inputs. copy it and select the alternate source for the copy. combine them in an inputselector or other mix node.
Performance-wise, that's the best method. But I understand it can be more tedious to set up. I'll keep thinking about it; maybe there are some other improvements I can make which won't compromise performance.
blackdot

Re: would that be legitimate feature request?

Post by blackdot »

hm no if it's best like this performance wise, we better leave it like that :)