Previous topicNext topic

HDMI in and out of Magic

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
SoundRehabAustria

HDMI in and out of Magic

Post by SoundRehabAustria »

Hi!

Having successfully run our first live show including Magic, 8 webcams plus several pre-recorded HD video streams I am all psyched about taking it another steep further. So I'd like to pick your brains on 2 subjects:

(A) Is there a way to get real-time HDMI feed e.g. from a Nikon D7100 into Magic?
(B) Is there a way to capture the entire Magic performance (including webcam feed and how it is modified by Magic) ... basically something like simply grabing the HDMI output that is sent to the projector and capture it (ideally without having to carry and wire too much additional hardware)

Could Spout help with these tasks? If so, where could I find tutorials or documentation on Spout regarding this particular subject?

Many thanks in advance.

Rob
blackdot

Re: HDMI in and out of Magic

Post by blackdot »

(A) your first question was my second one here. basically you'd need a hdmi to usb3 converter (ive found them for 200-300 usd) and feed that back in your computer, magic is supposed to be able to read that. search for "hdmi capture" or "hdmi to usb3"

(B) you can either use software to capture it, ive made almost lag free results with nvidia shadowplay, but consider that it will be another thing your pc has to do, so less perfirmance availablebfor the rest.
another solution would be to buy an external piece of hardware that can save the incoming stream onto a disk, like those game capture devices. then you could split yout hdmi out, one goes to the projector, the other goes to the capture device.
SoundRehabAustria

Post by SoundRehabAustria »

Thanks for your suggestions :-) they got me started thinking into other directions ...

as regards (A) i.e. getting HDMI into magic: HDMI to USB3 will not really be an option because in my system all USB bandwidth is occupied with webcams, so I wonder if there is a way to get the HDMI feed into Magic via the new webstream module e.g. by setting up some sort of dummy webserver that streams that HDMI signal or intercepting some kind of HDMI over IP extender ... could that be an option????

as regards (B) i.e. capturing the full performance in HD: the suggestion using an external capture device is great, but so far I've only stumbled across one that could run without a PC (i.e. capture to SD card) unfortunately with questionable reliability ... so here I wonder whether any sort of HD camcorder (at a reasonable price) could also act as capture device (latency is irrelevant here)
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

(A) The thread i linked also has eric explain the possibility of a wireless option: Have the hdmi output of the camera converted to usb 3.0. that goes into some laptop which runs a video stream server, which then magic on your main computer can read. needs local wifi though.
there also seem to be some video and capture devices like the blackmagic intensity pro 4k (and others) https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nsitypro4k . there are also a few other users here that use (or are not able to use) these:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=133&p=1237&hilit=bl ... sity#p1237
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205&hilit=blackmagic+intensity

(B) doing a google search for "game capture device" gives you quite a lot, probably usable, results like the elgato device. the blackmagic hyperdeck shuttle also looks promising at first sight https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products > disk recorders and storage.