Previous topicNext topic

High resolution exporting for 360

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
DJPIE1337

High resolution exporting for 360

Post by DJPIE1337 »

Hi,

I'm actually trying to make 360 videos with Magic, it works fine with 2048*1024 60p, but for the best results (Mostly because Youtube/FB degrades it after for their streaming) I want to export in 4096*2048 60p.
Magic just doesn't want to create the file (Error #159), is this a limitation of the encoder?
I'm going to try to work around it with exporting frames, which work, then pasting them in VDub and creating a new video file for my editor, but it is so time consuming, anybody got the same kind of problems?
4K is coming in slowly in productions so it'd be cool to be able to export in this format :)
Magic
Site Admin

Re: High resolution exporting for 360

Post by Magic »

Is this on Windows? Magic uses the built-in Windows .mp4 encoder, and unfortunately, it is limited to a maximum resolution, which I think is 2048x2048.

I will probably add higher-resolution video codecs in the future, but for now, the only solution is to use the .png image option as you discovered.
dj0le

Post by dj0le »

You're definitely on the bleeding edge if you are doing 4k video on Youtube. Question though, do you actually want to output at 4k resolution, or are you just trying to make your normal uploads look better after Youtube does their processing on your files?

Here's how I output Youtube videos for best quality/smallest size:

First, in Magic's export movie, I change the Mbps/sec to 120 (from the default of 100) and export it. Once that is done rendering, I import the mp4 into HandBrake and re-render it using the following settings:

Picture tab:
Size - anamorphic strict
Cropping - custom (0,0,0,0)

Video tab:
Codec - h.264
Framerate - same as source / Constant Framerate
Quality 20 RF
Optomise Video - Medium preset

Afterwards, you end up with a filesize ~1/5th as large, but without being able to see any difference in quality. When you upload this to Youtube, it looks significantly better since they won't compress it nearly as much.
DJPIE1337

Post by DJPIE1337 »

@eric Yes, it's on the windows version, so ok for now if it's limited by their compressor and not by a third party one.

@dj0le Thanks for the compression tip! I'm just trying to use the best quality, so I'll try boosting the MB/s size, but I know that FB goes directly to the dirtyest compression so if I can go with the highest size at first