Previous topicNext topic

Summing soundenergy

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Reigel

Summing soundenergy

Post by Reigel »

Hi,

I have a question and I believe it is possibe to do that with an expression. But I am somehow lost. So here is my question: I would like to sum up the energy of a sound, e.g. if a guy blows into his horn and holds the tone the factor should rise until he let got. Is that possible?

Curious
Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Summing soundenergy

Post by Magic »

If I'm understanding correctly, I think you could do that just by adding an Increase modifier with 0 as the parameter value:
Increase.png
Increase.png (15.48 KiB) Viewed 7078 times
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Yes well, but there never is a fall back when that guy (e.g.) stops playing. It is just running and summing forever. I would like to at least have a manual reset (to a treshold value - offset). I could use the bypass toggle to mimic a reset. But unfortunately that only works if performed with the mouse. When using a MIDI-command to toggle bypass no reset occurs. Is that a feature?

Best
Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, because the module has to be drawn for the bypass parameter to be processed. Unfortunately there isn't currently a way to reset a modifier or a module by itself, but maybe it's something I should add.

For now, if you want a MIDI-controllable way of resetting a module, you can use the InputSelector. Whenever you switch inputs, the input will be reset.
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

Eric wrote:Yes, because the module has to be drawn for the bypass parameter to be processed. Unfortunately there isn't currently a way to reset a modifier or a module by itself, but maybe it's something I should add.

For now, if you want a MIDI-controllable way of resetting a module, you can use the InputSelector. Whenever you switch inputs, the input will be reset.

summing energy is a nice idea !
I'm agree, a way to reset a modifier could be very useful. The tip about Input Selector is great, I never think about it like this
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Well. I currently use two ways to do it: CMD+E starts everything. In some scenes this can work if there is no video involved.
And the Input switch is also an option if You just want to reset the specific module. But it is a bit tricky since if You want to avoid a black screen while switching You have to feed two inputs of the selector with the same signal. And since it is not possible to feed one output to two inputs of the same module You have to insert a fake module in one of the lines. That could be anything.

Nevertheless the best way for me would be an automatic fall back. So the modifier would work as an infinite summer until there is a "fundamental" decrease in the input. This should be determined of course by some values. If that happens the value falls back slowly (release speed should also be determined) until either a treshold is reached or the input exceeds the actual value again (with an attac time to be set). I think this sounds more complicated as it is. But this way the module could in fact reflect and follow the energy curve of a performance. I am working within a classical and jazz context where we have considerable differences in termes of volume and density of music. Here this would be of great value.

Reinhard
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

While trying to find some solution I stumble over several issues which might help and possibly were easy to implement:

1. I tried to insert an Offset modifier in order to pull back the increasing value at a certain point. While it is possible to connect the parameter with a MIDI-controller this does not help bvecause I cannot manage to have negativ offset that way. It would somehow need to scale MIDI-values and set a zero MIDI-value to whatever Offset-value..

Then I thought if I would insert a Scale modifier with the value of -1 I could switch to a decreasing stack and vv. And when connecting the scale value to a MIDI-controller this could be fine. Unfortunately the Increase modifier can only add positive numbers. So it is never possible to decrase the stack.

Could that be modiefied so that this module just adds numbers positive as negative?

Best
Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

1. I tried to insert an Offset modifier in order to pull back the increasing value at a certain point. While it is possible to connect the parameter with a MIDI-controller this does not help bvecause I cannot manage to have negativ offset that way. It would somehow need to scale MIDI-values and set a zero MIDI-value to whatever Offset-value..
That's what the MIDI Param Range option is for. You can set it to a negative value (such as -1) and it will scale the parameter by that amount.
Then I thought if I would insert a Scale modifier with the value of -1 I could switch to a decreasing stack and vv. And when connecting the scale value to a MIDI-controller this could be fine. Unfortunately the Increase modifier can only add positive numbers. So it is never possible to decrase the stack.
Sure, it will be easy for me to allow the Increase modifier to accept negative numbers :).