Previous topicNext topic

A couple of n00b questions.

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
TheLaughingBuddha

A couple of n00b questions.

Post by TheLaughingBuddha »

Hi...
I have just recently purchased Magic and i am loving it :)
But I have a couple of quick questions. (Hope i'm in the right forum for this)

Is there a way to sync 'no source' settings to a bpm?
Is there a way to set minimum/maximum settings on a sine oscillator?..i.e..I can set the speed but not the minimum/maximum strength of the effect.

Many thanks.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: A couple of n00b questions.

Post by Magic »

Is there a way to sync 'no source' settings to a bpm?
We don't have direct BPM support right now, but I'm pretty sure it will be coming in one of the next releases.

However, when 'no source' is selected, you can approximate a BPM fairly well with the Ramp modifier, because its parameter value determines its cycle speed. The default parameter value is 1.0, which indicates 1 cycle per second, which is 60 BPM. A parameter value of 2.0 would be 120 BPM, 1.5 would be 90 BPM, .5 would be 30 BPM, and so on.
Is there a way to set minimum/maximum settings on a sine oscillator?..i.e..I can set the speed but not the minimum/maximum strength of the effect.
For that you would just need to put a Scale modifier after the Sine Oscillator. For example, scaling by 5 would cause the oscillation to go between 0 and 5.
artnik

Post by artnik »

I can answer your second question. Check out this section on Audio Modifiers in the user manual: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... oModifiers

Specifically, in your case, you'll want to add a SCALE modifier. The sin oscillator runs from 0 to 1, so if you need it to be 0-50, add a scale modifier of value 50.

One great trick to keep in mind is that before adding the scale, you can add an OFFSET modifier of -0.5. This will make the Sin go from -0.5 to 0.5, which you can then scale. It makes some effects easier to achieve since it oscillates around a central value, instead of just adding a positive value. Think of situations where you want something to wobble around a central point for instance.

But adding combinations of modifiers, you can build up very complex numerical functions. If you don't it to be geared to the audio input, select NO SOURCE as the input for the module, and then your custom modifier functions will be the sole driver of the animation.

Cheers!
TheLaughingBuddha

Post by TheLaughingBuddha »

Thanks very much, chaps :)