Previous topicNext topic

Projector

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Fractal Grinder

Projector

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Hey i am looking into buying a projector and although money is tight, I want to get something worthy of doing live shows with, if anybody here has a recommendation they can toss me, im looking to spend no more than 300 and I would def prefer if I could do it on Amazon with the 6 month free financing they offfer on certain products, but any recommendations for good, semi affordable projectors is appreciated.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Projector

Post by Magic »

I'm not sure about that specific price range, but one very important thing to keep in mind is how much "lag" a projector has. Some projectors can delay the video for several frames, which means that it will seem to be out of sync with the music. When you're reading projector reviews, be sure to search for "lag" or "delay".
beastraeatsall

Post by beastraeatsall »

Hi, I'm also interested in recommendations for projectors in around the same price range.

But also curious what you all use, regardless of price. All of you gigging VJs – what do you usually use? Do you use setups that are more expensive than $300?
artnik

Post by artnik »

You're going to have a tough time finding a really decent HD projector at that price point. This is the projector I ended up getting for around $600 CAD. Which felt like a good compromise between features and price. http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ ... V11H764020

Do keep looking though, because you may get one cheap secondhand, but you'll want to check the hours. The bulb life on projectors is between 3000-5000 hours TOTAL in general. If the projector shows zero hours, then the owner has probably reset the bulb timer. You can check the manufacturer's specs for bulb life and adjust your price accordingly, knowing you may have to get a new bulb assembly.

Essentially, your basic choice is between an LCD projector or a DLP one. Personally, having owned both, I prefer LCD projectors. They don't have as good of a contrast range, but you don't have to deal with issues that some DLP projectors have with rainbow artifacts due to the spinning colour wheel (i.e. you see rainbows if you move your eyes quickly when looking at the image).

Some LCD projectors have a dynamic iris, essentially they adjust the size of the aperture on the lens to use less light when a scene is dark, expanding the contrast range, like the projector I listed.

I use the projector for public performance at local festivals, and for public gaming-related events. No complaints. For home use, the iris adjustment does make a distracting noise in quiet scenes, but normally the volume is up loud enough for it not to be an issue.