Previous topicNext topic

Next - Previous buttons

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Sadler

Next - Previous buttons

Post by Sadler »

On nodes with file selectors to load the next file in the same directory as the current file.

And perhaps on other nodes to select the next value in a list.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Next - Previous buttons

Post by Magic »

Ok, thanks. It might be hard to fit those buttons into the current module layout, but I'll have a think about it. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Here's a few obvious ideas...
MV_next_prev.png
MV_next_prev.png (25.96 KiB) Viewed 7043 times
The first has the advantage as the node will display the shader name when minimised (which might be a good idea in itself) and that the buttons could be midi controlled.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Those would work in most cases, but consider the case of a module having two File parameters. It wouldn't make sense to show information or buttons in the module title, because which parameter would they belong to?

Thus, each parameter's buttons/boxes/etc. really need to fit in 1 row. I think the only option would be to have the arrow buttons next to the File button, and to make the File button smaller. Maybe there can be a menu option for whether the arrows are hidden or not?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Yes, I guess there's many examples of possible nodes that could have two or more file selectors.
magic_visuals_new_video_node.png
magic_visuals_new_video_node.png (22.84 KiB) Viewed 7029 times
I've taken the liberty of removing "Crop" since a scale transform will suffice and "Grayscale" since zero saturation does the job. That red on the filename could be a scrub bar.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok thanks. I'll keep those things in mind.

Crop doesn't do exactly the same thing as Scale, which is why I have it there. Crop zooms in on the image but retains the size. Thus, scaling a cropped image isn't the same thing as scaling a scaled image.

I have Grayscale in there because it's a bit more computationally efficient than doing it with a separate module, but you're right, it could probably be removed without affecting things too much.
Fractal Grinder

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Yeah I second this. Would be a really nice, but it would be really cool if we could also map Next/Previous to a MIDI button. I think that it would be also extremely helpful if we could map the Bypass button on each module to MIDI, that, would be a huge for me.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yeah I second this. Would be a really nice, but it would be really cool if we could also map Next/Previous to a MIDI button.
Ok thanks, I'll think about how to do that.
I think that it would be also extremely helpful if we could map the Bypass button on each module to MIDI, that, would be a huge for me.
You can do that already :). See https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... passParams
Fractal Grinder

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Man... I swear, I'm gonna read that manual all the way through one of these days.... Untill then thank you for all your help haha :D
sam

Post by sam »

Oh yes this would be a big help, as it stands now it takes a very long time to simply go to the next visualization in such a long list. Prev/next buttons would save to much time! :)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Overall I do think it's a good idea to have the Next/Prev buttons. But, the issue with being able to map them to MIDI is that you would be loading files during your performance, as opposed to before the performance starts. Loading files always takes extra CPU/GPU resources, so your frame rate would stutter a bit, especially for big files. Maybe people won't mind this too much though.