Previous topicNext topic

Screen Recording

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Fractal Grinder

Screen Recording

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Hey this is a general question/poll about external software used to video record what happens on your screen.

So basically I wanna see what everyone has tried as far as Screen Cap software and what kinda results they have gotten to find the best solution for me. I have the TechSmith SnagIt but when I record, I get some massive lag, which obviously is far from ideal. So has anyone found a better program for capturing video preferablly in HD?

I'm using the Windows version of Magic but feel free to post results about Mac programs for other people interested that read this thread.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Screen Recording

Post by Magic »

If you want to make a really high-quality recording of your VJing, my suggestion is that you use hardware instead of software. Software recording will lower Magic's performance because it will be competing for graphics, CPU, and disk resources. You'll get lower frame rates as a result.

I always recommend the Elgato Game Capture HD (https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/gamecapture-hd), and now they also have a 60fps version: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd60. These are the absolute best ways to do real-time HD capture, but they do cost money, and you also need a second computer.

Other than that though, I've used Fraps (Windows) as well as Quicktime (OS X), and they both work ok.
Fractal Grinder

Damn. Well I'm kinda tight on money right now but was kinda expecting having to purchase something after all my attempts to record have turned out laggy. Oh well. Thats next on my list next to projector i suppose now.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I didn't mean to suggest that you should give up on software solutions :). They might still be worth testing. If you find anything you like, let us know!
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

I have made good experience with nvidia shadowplay, which is usually used for gameplay recording. But you can also record the whole desktop including magics output. It seems to be very tightly inegrated and causes almost no lag. Works only if you have a nvidia card of course. Maybe theres some equivalent for amd's, i dont know.
Fractal Grinder

blackdot wrote:I have made good experience with nvidia shadowplay, which is usually used for gameplay recording. But you can also record the whole desktop including magics output. It seems to be very tightly inegrated and causes almost no lag. Works only if you have a nvidia card of course. Maybe theres some equivalent for amd's, i dont know.
I have a NVidia card and this might be just the solution that I was asking for. I'm downloading this now and will test it rigorously tomorrow. Thank you for your input blackdot. :D
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

If you already have installed geforce experience, you already have shadowplay.
Fractal Grinder

blackdot wrote:If you already have installed geforce experience, you already have shadowplay.
Yeah I realized that when I read the file I download was just the Geforce experiance. I had a problem where it wouldnt show up though so I had to reinstall and troubleshoot for a while, but after all that, it works MUCH better than the other programs I used, and its free, 60fps as well. The first video I took looked pretty good, thanks again man, I would recommend this to anyone with a compatible Nvidia card based just on what Ive seen so far.