Previous topicNext topic

counter modifier

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
blackdot

counter modifier

Post by blackdot »

i think i mentionned this before somewhere, but i couldnt find it anymore, also i gave it more thought, so i hope it merits its own thread:

the idea is, that we have a modifier that counts how many times the above value hits 1, and if a set number is reached, it lets the value through/makes the value 1 (just really quick). that way we could have an incoming beatclock, and every (eg) 4 beats, this modifier would produce a short value of 1.

why does the value above has to hit 1? because we can use modifiers before this one to normalize the value, also beatclock is already between 0 and 1. the value the user sets is the number the modifier has to count to. like this this modifier fits perfectly (:P) into the current (at least visual) design of magic. the 'hide' button of the modifier also would need to reset the current count. this way the user would have a way to reset it, if it's off or something.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: counter modifier

Post by Magic »

I think probably the better solution is to have a sub-menu for Beat Clock, where you can select something like:
- Every beat
- Every 2 beats
- Every 3 beats
- Every 4 beats

The problem with doing it via a modifier is that it might "miss" the beat, because modifiers aren't processed in the same loop as incoming MIDI messages. What do you think?
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

not sure what these loops mean, but if you say your way makes more sense, i say your way makes more sense too :D.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Haha ok :). But would it be sufficient to address the issue by having different multiples of the beat clock?
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

i'm not sure. the reason why i suggested this as a modifier, was that it'd be more universally applicable than just in the specific beatclock case. i unfortunately dont have another approach on how to achieve this. to put this on other midi events like overall volume (or fequency band volume) is difficult, because the input isnt normalized like the beatclock, and that normalizing only happens (if set up) later down in the modifiers.

btw, not sure if that point came across, but this feature would have to not only let through n beatclock, but slow it down. so that the tempo of a beactclock can be halfed, or quartered. this may be achieved though by a "quick 1" and a smooth modifier letting it go back to 0, but i'm not sure.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

this feature would have to not only let through n beatclock, but slow it down. so that the tempo of a beactclock can be halfed, or quartered
Yep, I was thinking that, for example if you chose "every 3rd beat", you'd get one long beat that decayed over the period of time where 3 normal beats would otherwise happen.

Like this:

Code: Select all

___
|  ___
|     ___
Instead of this:

Code: Select all

_  _  _
|_ |_ |_
| _| _| _
Would that work?
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Jes this would work. Would able us to play longer image sequences still in sync with the music