Previous topicNext topic

New to Magic. Can I contract someone for help?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
weirdwolvesmusic

New to Magic. Can I contract someone for help?

Post by weirdwolvesmusic »

Hello everyone
I really like magic music visuals. I’m blown away by the demo, I think I’m gonna get it for my band to use live.
But I’m not very technical. Is there a way to download a full project with tons of scenes including some that use the camera input that I could use?
Or maybe a user I could contract (and pay) to make such a project for my band?
Terry Payman

Re: New to Magic. Can I contract someone for help?

Post by Terry Payman »

There's a great deal of setting up for live use. Oould be challenging if playing a different venue each time.

Here are a few quick observations, based on many years of doing visuals for live performances and DJs.

Some venues may have a projector and screen, but many will not so you would need to have your own - and somehow set up both. It's often problematic to locate the projector so it's not obstructed by the audience or band. The distance from projector to screen will vary tremendously from venue to venue, ideally needing a projector with interchangeable lenses or a selection of projectors with different throw ranges - oherwise the size of projected image could be too small or too large for the screen. Locating projector(s) and screen(s) on stage will leave less room for the band.

Sometimes there's only one person operating both the sound and lighting desks. If they are (hopefully) concentrating on the sound mix they may only have time to hit a presets for the lights - and some of these these might flood your screen, washing out the visuals. It's more to ask of the operator if you want particular lighting - perhaps OK if you are top of the bill.

Adding a camera further complicates the setup challenges, and unless you use your own infrared lights and camera someone will need to adjust the camera settings to suit the stage lighting during the performance - which will be different to that for the sound check (and likely changing). You will likely need a camera/visuals operator.

There are many other practical challenges and I am happy to discuss further, but it will be helpful to know more of what you have in mind.

The situation is completely different if you are making a band video. No need for projection, except perhaps for rehearsals so the band can see the effects and practice interacting.with them. Magic is great for this.

Please excuse typos. I'm on my phone, wearing the wrong glasses!
weirdwolvesmusic

Post by weirdwolvesmusic »

Thank you so much, yes, I’d be happy to discuss more.
We have a light show already, that is automated through DMXIS, so the video would be a new element that is “optional” and nice to have when the venue has the equipment, but it’s ok if they don’t.
I’m trying to keep a very compact and simple setup system, so I’d be just handing a dmx cable to the venue and if they can hook it up great, if not, so be it.
The camera is a fun little idea but I’m mot super attached to it. To start “simple” I’d like a set of scenes that fade one to another every 30 seconds or so that display only when there is audio from backing tracks and instruments, this way and fade to black when no audio.
Does this sound too possible and fairly achievable?
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Hello Weirdwolvesmusic!
I use magic with my rock band, feeding it with audio (Mics and line input) and midi (from keyboards, drumpads, midiguitar), so I can maybe help you.
What you are looking for is certainly doable, you just have to route some trigger (audio or midi) to the computer that run Magic.
Using scenes and playlist, it is possible to set up a full video show with some interactions.
What sort of laptop do you plan to use? And what type of visuals are you looking for?