Previous topicNext topic

How to create a control range that starts with a negative value using MIDI controller

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
sameloop

How to create a control range that starts with a negative value using MIDI controller

Post by sameloop »

Hi.

I'm trying to make a control value with a range that starts from -20 to +20 (or any values), i.e: when the MIDI control knob is stopped at 0 (fully anti-clockwise) it's -20 and when it's fully clockwise it's +20. Can't quite work it out using modifiers (tried 'offset' but no joy)

Thanks.
Sadler

Re: How to create a control range that starts with a negative value using MIDI controller

Post by Sadler »

There are just seven modifiers that allow -ve values and most of them don't make much sense - when would one ever want to Trigger or Clamp on -ve values? Offset, Scale, ok but the others are arguable. You could use a global to go from -20 to 20 and use that to scale in an expression, same with offset and other maths functions. Only the Increase and Random Trigger modifiers couldn't be handled this way.

Perhaps if you were to describe your use-case - what you want to achieve, rather than how to achieve it.
sameloop

Re: How to create a control range that starts with a negative value using MIDI controller

Post by sameloop »

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Ok, so I'll try and describe it better:

Imagine a MIDI controller with knobs that have a start and stop point, as opposed to infinite (as is the case on my Korg Nanokontrol). I want to assign a knob to a function - e.g: the 'X' on a 'Scale' module, but I want the range to start at minus 10 when the knob is at the furthest anti-clockwise (you could say 'zero' on the knob) and plus 20 when the knob is fully clockwise.

Additionally, and probably the most complex to achieve and least important here, it would be great if when the value hits zero (let's call it when the knob is roughly halfway turned), there is a way of keeping a 'dead zone', where the knob can turn a little either way without increasing or decreasing the value above or below zero. I totally understand if that's impossible though, and it could probably be achieved more easily with assigning a button to reset to zero instead.

Sorry, but I can't think of a better way of describing it.

Thanks.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

This does what you describe, no?
Screenshot 2024-01-04 135700.png
Screenshot 2024-01-04 135700.png (42.62 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
sameloop

Post by sameloop »

Wow! Nailed it. Thanks so much. You really know your way around Magic, that's for sure. I wouldn't have worked that out in a million years (well, maybe the scale/offset thing, but not the expression :).