Previous topicNext topic

Upgraded Mac, but performance the same?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
wheeky

Upgraded Mac, but performance the same?

Post by wheeky »

Hey,

I have recently upgraded my Mac from an M1 to an M2 and expected the music project I am working with would speed up the output time for each video (generally around 1 hour and takes about 1 hour to render on my M1). However on the M2, I have set it all up and transferred my license, but the processing time is exactly the same. Is this normal, or have I missed something on the setup?
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Upgraded Mac, but performance the same?

Post by Magic »

Exporting movies is highly dependent on the write speed of the drive. If the new drive isn't much faster, you won't see a big difference.
wheeky

Post by wheeky »

Thanks for the reply, I tried to move all of the files to the local SSD on the M2 Mac mini and the export speed was still the same as when I was importing/exporting to my Google Drive in the cloud on my M1 MBP.
TKS

Post by TKS »

I'm not a Mac guy, but under Windows the GPU speed is important. Do you still use the same GPU?
wheeky

Post by wheeky »

Thanks for the reply! Everything is on the chip with the mac silicone, but the video performance should be quite faster on the M2.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If you are playing back videos from Google Drive, etc., then that could certainly cause the slowdown.
walmartian

Post by walmartian »

I assume you have the base level 512GB model. This is a well documented issue.
the 512 GB SSD in the MacBook Pro 14 with M1 Pro is actually 18% faster in writes (3,450 MB/s) and 50% faster in reads (4,081 MB/s) than the new 512 GB MacBook Pro 14 (2,929 MB/s write and 2,703 MB/s read) with M2 Pro in the AJA system test disk benchmark using a 16 GB 10-bit 4K test file
https://www.notebookcheck.net/MacBook-P ... 0to%20come.
wheeky

Post by wheeky »

Update: So it seems it was more an error from my side, I was outputting to a Google Drive and when I changed all files to local the processing time went from 1:1 (1 hour for a 1 hour video) to 0.85:1 (45mins for a 1 hour video). I will check again with my old setup to get a true like for like.
For reference the old Mac is a M1 13" MBP with 16gb RAM and the new one is a Mac mini M2 with 8gb Ram.