Previous topicNext topic

Using Mouse Scroll Wheel to edit boxed parameters

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
BluuRae

Using Mouse Scroll Wheel to edit boxed parameters

Post by BluuRae »

Hello,

I absolutely love the versatility of this software but can't help that it's missing one crucial feature. When I'm attempting to change values in boxes and am forced to drag the boxes, they move too quickly, even when holding CTRL as a modifier to slow it down. I've tried decreasing the DPS of my mouse, but that can slow down my normal workflow as I rely on my currently learned mouse speed to do work efficiently.

It would be extremely helpful to be able to use the mouse's scroll wheel to modify the parameters instead. Scrolling normally will increase and decrease values at a regularly specified interval whilst scrolling over the top of a box, perhaps by +-1.0 or +-0.1, while holding CTRL when scrolling will increase and decrease values by +-0.01 or so, just as an example.

I'd like to hear what you think! :D
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Using Mouse Scroll Wheel to edit boxed parameters

Post by Magic »

This already exists, please read the User's Guide. https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... Parameters
BluuRae

Post by BluuRae »

Hello,

I realized shortly after making this post that you can hold Alt and scroll to change parameters. It would be helpful to have the option to turn off the Alt modifier, so that one might edit things using just their mouse when hovering over the box. I understand this could make it easier to unintentionally edit things for those of us with finicky mouse wheels, so maybe even having a keybind that can toggle the Alt parameter on and off would be nice, like Scroll Lock or something.

Alternatively, when you click the box while holding alt, it could select that box indicated by a special border, and then be adjusted using just the mouse wheel from any point on the screen after the initial Alt + click.

Let me know what you think.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The specific reason that a keypress is necessary is that if you are using the mousewheel to scroll up and down in the entire window, like you might do on a web page, and then the mouse cursor happens to encounter a parameter as the window scrolls beneath it, the scrolling will get stuck in that parameter. I dislike this behavior because it causes the parameters to be edited unintentionally.

As far as dragging goes, keep in mind that you can use Shift and Ctrl together to make the value change even more slowly.