Previous topicNext topic

From Magic to Synesthesia, then back to Magic to mix signals

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
DavidAJfilms

From Magic to Synesthesia, then back to Magic to mix signals

Post by DavidAJfilms »

Hello !
I wonder how could I send the show to Synesthesia software (in the same computer) and then send that signal back to magic to mix both of them without affecting that signal sent to synesthesia.
I know I could mix both signals in something like Resolute, but would be great finding a way of doing it in Magic.

I'm sending the signal via syphon output from magic to Synesthesia but since it's the magic window, as soon as I modify that signal I lose the effect.

I though I could maybe send a preview window to synesthesia.. I don't know

Any idea how to manage this??

Many thanks in advance!! :D

Attached a screenshot of the preview window with a syphon input of the syphon output of the magic window haha :lol: . I hope I explained myself well
Attachments
Captura de Pantalla 2022-10-16 a las 20.19.00.jpg
Captura de Pantalla 2022-10-16 a las 20.19.00.jpg (76.78 KiB) Viewed 10182 times
Sadler

Re: From Magic to Synesthesia, then back to Magic to mix sig

Post by Sadler »

Try this: https://github.com/leadedge/MagicSpout/ ... /tag/2.001

I wouldn't do this myself though. Two apps competing for GPU resource ain't great for real-time headroom.
DavidAJfilms

Post by DavidAJfilms »

Many thanks Sadler. Can't use it in my mac but that it looked like a great solution.
In this case I'm using magic to play videos the videos (need to trigger them with midi and can't make it in synesthesia) and to set the output, hope my machine could handle it!
Is there something like this for syphon??

Many thanks!
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

How unobservant of me, I didn't notice the mac UI and read syphon = spout!

Not being a mac person I don't know if there is a syphon equivalent though I've not heard of one mentioned on these forums though there was this old post from a while ago: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... php?t=1186
Perhaps there is a mac user who knows.

You can do a similar things with NDI though its not as efficient as Spout/Syphon. Again, though, the NDI plugins for Magic are from Lynn Jarvis and so PC only as far as I know.

Synesthesia claims to support triggering media with midi (in the docs). I have the trial installed here but don't like the program so never felt the urge to get familiar with it. What do you want to do in that program that you can't do in Magic?
DavidAJfilms

Post by DavidAJfilms »

I like the way Synesthesia analyzes audio to audio react glsl and how it uses media to blend both (I couldn't get that look importing the Synesthesia signal and playing with blend modes), but magic allows me to such many things I really could't do my show nowadays without it!
For example, in a DJ-VJ show, I'll start the video while the dj stills crossfading, changing the tempo of the original song. When the song reaches bar X, for example, or any moment where I need the video to sync the audio, and tempo is already the one for which I made the video, he sends me a midi signal to switch (input selector) between VideoFile A to VideoFIleA with a specific start time. Maybe its not the best approach but it lets me edit sync videos for each song and then adapt them for the live show:
Captura de Pantalla 2022-10-26 a las 13.36.56.png
Captura de Pantalla 2022-10-26 a las 13.36.56.png (358.06 KiB) Viewed 10056 times
On the other hand, I tried playing with NDI outputs, but since I use Magic Window to project the final signal I can't modify it without affecting what I send to Synesthesia.

As I said, maybe the way to go is to input both signals (Magic and Magic+Synesthesia) to a Resolume or anything that could merge both and let me control the output signal but can't afford it yet for this personal project. Maybe with several instances of Magic? Is it even posible?

Anyway many many thanks for your support. Maybe the solution is to rethink the setup instead of trying to introduce synesthesia 'by force'.

Hope I explained myself :D :D !!
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

I do agree that Synesthesia gl shaders are comprehensively structured for reactivity but they're specific to that program and more complicated to write (than IFS). It is possible to do similar with gl shaders in Magic though not as out-of-the-box as Synesthesia.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The SyphonServer module (in the post Sadler linked to) is the correct approach here. I can't remember the last time we updated it, so if it doesn't work with your version of Magic, please let me know and we'll fix it.