Previous topicNext topic

MIDI files will not load

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
jacob_gingerich

MIDI files will not load

Post by jacob_gingerich »

My Magic Visualizer will not load MIDI files. I cannot select them from the "Add files(s)..." button and when I drag one it i get an error message saying "The following file(s) could not be loaded: (the midi files name)" I know it is not the wrong format because I get this message when I load the sample midi project as well.
I cannot find a solution anywhere and no one else seems to have the same problem. I tried re-installing as well.
I am using Windows 10.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: MIDI files will not load

Post by Magic »

Probably because you need to upgrade to the Performer edition.
Frank_eDrummer

Post by Frank_eDrummer »

I have the same problem. I just upgraded to Performer and it is showing that in the 'About' tab, but I get an error message when trying to load a valid midi file.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Hi Frank, if you post a link to let us download your MIDI file, we can test it here.
Frank_eDrummer

Post by Frank_eDrummer »

Hi, I am not sure how to send the file, but I did try another MIDI file from the internet and it worked. The file I used came from a new Roland FP-30X digital piano. The file plays fine on Windows media player. Are there some restrictions with a MIDI file for Magic? Is here a conversion tool I can use o loan and save the file so it will work? Thanks
gtak

Post by gtak »

I know this is an old thread, but I ran into the same problem while evaluating the trial version. After some experimenting I discovered the problem is that Magic seems to only support the older midi "type-0" files. That format can only have one track, with only one midi channel. The newer "type-1" format (which is the most common today) can have many tracks, each having its own midi channel. Existing type-1 files would have to be converted and either merge multiple tracks into one and then saving as a type 0 file, or, saving each track separately to individual type-0 files. The error message occurs when you try loading type-1 file into Magic. It would be nice to have a notice in the docs alerting folks to the limitation. Either way, with a whole library of music in type-1 files, my initial excitement at discovering the power of Magic has dwindled considerably since animating midi files was my main interest. )-:
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Magic certainly does support MIDI files that have multiple channels in them. Look at the Sample Project called "MIDIFileExample". You will see that it has one MIDI file with 3 channels being used.
gtak

Post by gtak »

I respectively disagree. What I'm talking about is tracks, not channels.The Bach midi file included with Magic is a type-0 midi file. It may have several channels, but It has its midi data all on one track only. Type-1 files can have multiple tracks, and keep the parts as separate tracks.

From Sweetwater.com
What’s the difference between MIDI Type 0 and MIDI Type 1 files?
Article #28008 Updated on Jun 22, 2017 at 4:55 PM
"Type 1 files contain separate information for each track. For a Type 0 file, however, all the tracks are merged into a single track, although MIDI channel information is still retained. When a Type 0 file is loaded into a sequencer, it will take each channel’s information and put it on a separate track. So for a typical sequence with one track per MIDI channel, it will normally not matter if the sequence is saved as Type 0 or Type 1.

But if your source sequence has several tracks assigned to the same MIDI channel (for example several drum tracks playing the same program on the same channel, but with an individual drum sound on each track), then it is best to export it as a Type 1 file. If exported as Type 0, all tracks assigned to the same channel will be merged into a single track when the .MID file is loaded."

To sum up, all my midi files are type-1, and they will not load into Magic. When I try I get the same error message that started this thread. When I load the Bach file from Magic into my DAW it shows up as one track = type 0. When I load one of my type 1 files into the DAW the tracks are all separate. That means Magic chokes on type 1 midi files.
ref: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... di-type-1/