Previous topicNext topic

Drawing lines

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
giantmecha

Drawing lines

Post by giantmecha »

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on how to draw basic straight lines in Magic? Essentially I'm trying to figure out how to create a grid of vertical and horizontal straight lines (i.e. graph paper) that I can manipulate using audio, and can't figure out a way short of importing a movie.

Thanks!
walmartian

Re: Drawing lines

Post by walmartian »

Try this.
graphstart2.png
graphstart2.png (79.19 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yup, I'd suggest exactly that. :)
giantmecha wrote:that I can manipulate using audio
What kind of manipulation are you looking for?
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

it could be great to have some controls like the Lines FFGL plugin from resolume for exemple( I find all the controls very useful) . Another great feature could be the possibility yo use the waveform as an 'IN' like others modules.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yeah, one thing I have on my list is a 3D waveform module, which would be similar to what you're describing.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I have a one liner module I use (MDK) with the spectrum sometimes which just switches to wireframe. I'll post the dlls/source for it next time I'm on the machine that has it.
giantmecha

Post by giantmecha »

Thanks guys! Super helpful stuff. Eric - I basically want to have them vibrate, perhaps bend and curl a bit as well. Sorta like vibrating, wavy graph paper.

Just so I'm clear on this technique (sorry, I'm new to this kind of scripting), do I keep adding the "Translate" modules one-by-one until I fill the screen with lines? Or is there a way to automate this?

Thanks again.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Just so I'm clear on this technique (sorry, I'm new to this kind of scripting), do I keep adding the "Translate" modules one-by-one until I fill the screen with lines?
Yup, for now you have to do it that way. Unfortunately it will be a bit tedious :(. But I do happen to be working on a better solution for things like this.