Previous topicNext topic

Is there A fire Effect in Magic?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
wsobeats

Is there A fire Effect in Magic?

Post by wsobeats »

Is there a fire effect in Magic? and if not how would i do a makeshift substitute?
artnik

Re: Is there A fire Effect in Magic?

Post by artnik »

You can try searching for "fire" at these places:

https://www.interactiveshaderformat.com/search# (ISF format)
https://www.shadertoy.com/results?query=fire (GLSL) format)

The first link's files just need to be put in Magic's Modules folder, and then restart the program.

You have two options with ShaderToy ones:

1) Copy and paste the code into a .txt file and load it using the GLSL module in Magic.

2) Use the SHADERTOYtoISF converter: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/utils/sha ... to_isf.php by copying the unique ID code from the end of the shader's URL on Shadertoy. With this option, you may have to tweak the shader's code by copying and pasting it into a new sketch on INTERACTIVESHADERFORMAT.com.

Not all shaders translate correctly, and I've noticed I always need to remove trailing commas in the MetaData header "Inputs" section of the shader after converting it. The conversion is not 100% (e.g. shaders with buffers will not work in Magic), but a LOT of them will right out of the box.

I like to go with option #2, because then you can edit the header to add controls. I often end up adding variables and defining controls for them, something which is not possible if you go with the first option of loading the shaders as GLSL .TXT files.

Here's a link to a simple, but versatile ISF fire shader: https://www.interactiveshaderformat.com/sketches/804

Good luck!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Another solution might be to layer a video clip of fire on top (perhaps with some transparency, or otherwise blended).

A good repository of stock video clips is http://videoblocks.com.
deskmate

Post by deskmate »

I just found a site that offers some free video clips, a few have fire in them............

look for the tab that says "free stuff"

https://www.motionloops.com/
artnik

Post by artnik »

Found a fantastic free download today on a pack of FIRE FX videos. It cost me a signup to a mailing list, but it goes to the spam folder anyway. :)

They loop well. .MOV format, 1080p, pre-keyed.

http://www.rodypolis.com/free-pre-keyed ... otage.html
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

wsobeats wrote:Is there a fire effect in Magic? and if not how would i do a makeshift substitute?
Hello Eric,

How are you? Hope all is well.

I've found the style of video I am actually looking to emulate.

I'm pretty sure this can be done in Magic but I don't know how exactly ..... And so the idea would be to take a GLShader and make it
a highlighter around the image. That's the idea of the top of my head. Actually What I need is for any effect to surround the image.
I've realized (by watching someone else) that I was overthinking this all along. The less is more gives space for the image to be the centerpiece;
it just needs to be highlighted / surrounded with the stunning effect and then bounce to the music.

In the video he is using Adobe Aftereffects. If I can't get it exact, what is a reasonable facsimile?

One other item. I figured out how to do thumbnails that work well for Youtube. But it if I use a GLSLShader (like tube4.txt) I need the part where
it is only a circle surrounding the image, not the entire clip before it begins to rewind. How do I shorten this GLSLShader (or any shader)
so I only use the part that I want?

Thanks
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

This is basically multiplying some noise with a blur - there's a bit more to it but easy enough to achieve with some experimentation. All with built-in FX.
output_wPhu26.gif
output_wPhu26.gif (1015.39 KiB) Viewed 9009 times
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

Thanks, Sadler. Awe sum.

I figured it could be done. I will fool with it.

Do you know how to loop or trim a GLSLshader so you only use the part you want?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

I've never tried it but perhaps this might work...

Edit the GLSL to include this line in the main function somewhere.

if (Time > end-of-loop) {time = start-of-loop;}

Or perhaps more efficiently...

time = time % loop-length;

I don't think you can write to uniform iTime but your own time variable should work fine.

As I say, never done this myself.
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

Hey so I have been thru enough fx to have a Vertigo Headache for a week ......

Can I get some help getting started on this ?

I attempted using an edge Blur but that is minimal.
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

Still trying to do the fire one from above. I really don't want to affect the image just the edges of said images.

"Multiplying some noise w/ a blur" ....

I said yeah like I knew what I was doing lol
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Try something like this:
edge-flames.jpg
edge-flames.jpg (115.41 KiB) Viewed 8987 times
Adjust parameters to taste.
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

so true story ... I have an image to show you but I can't figure out how to post a .png in this forum and have spent the last 45 minutes trying to figure it out ....

Under media ? I place a URL of the image ? (cuz it's a screenshot I took .... so I don't get it)

Until then .... Content Keyed .... Content Blurred .... and Swirly Noise are not actual things I can find in the list of functions

so I have them replaced w/ the following:

Content Keyed = the original image

Content Blurred = the original image without the size adjustments ( but basically the same thing)

Swirly noise = Videofile (with fire)
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

Finally saw the fine print sized "upload attachment" button
Attachments
EMBARASSING ATTEMPT #1.png
EMBARASSING ATTEMPT #1.png (336.91 KiB) Viewed 8978 times
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

Now I have another question about part II of my query.

A GLSLShader is technically a Videofile correct? Videofiles in Magic have loop times parameters. This is basically what you were telling me to program....
programming may lie above my pay grade. Is there a simple way to make any GLSLShader a video?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Anything in Magic can be exported as a video. And then you can load that video back into the VideoFile module.
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

Thanks Eric,

You are quite right. It seems so obvious after U said it. Export the GLSL shader.

So I have been trying to do the fire Effect Sadler posted on August 1st in this thread.

He gave me the layout on August 2nd.

My version of that posted on August 3rd doesn't work at all.

Is there a Content Keyed, Content Blurred, or Swirly Noise option I am missing somewhere?

Cuz those are the steps where my attemtp goes off the rails.

Much appreciation to Sadler for attempting to show me how to do this.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

There isn't a specific keyed, blurred or noise - it all depends on your source content and the style of flames you're after. The blocks in my layout were sub-scenes used to organise the elements and to communicate them better.

If, for instance, you have a PNG with alpha, that would be your keyed content.

The blurred content takes the keyed content, enlarges it slightly, then blurs it to create a halo around your content.

The noise might be the most challenging to get a convincing flame but you were going the right way using video. There are many different ways depending on the style of flames.