Previous topicNext topic

Audio Interface Input Help

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Musical Mind

Audio Interface Input Help

Post by Musical Mind »

Hey. New to Magic here, and still working in the demo version.

Excited by some of the possibilities so far, and have run into a big snag. My intention is to use Magic with multiple live inputs through an audio interface. With both my audio interface (RME Babyface Pro) and the RealTek microphone built into my laptop I get the error message "Warning: Couldn't open audio input device". I can get the RME's inputs to show using ASIO4ALL but Magic does not react to sound. It works fine when using a .wav file as an input source.

Hoping to prove a concept using Magic that will secure me enough funds to buy it. Please help!!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Audio Interface Input Help

Post by Magic »

Very strange that you would get the same error on both your audio devices. I know for sure that the RealTek microphone works fine because we have a couple laptops with it here in our office.

Have you tried going to Magic's Help menu and selecting Reset All Settings?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Make sure that you haven't disabled your microphone in Microphone Privacy Settings. Your symptoms suggest that it is turned off.
Naesthetics

Post by Naesthetics »

Hello,

Would appreciate some help here too. Also trying to do the same thing as OP where I play my piano (synth) (using channel 7/8) and letting magic respond in real time. Also, the sound output from magic doesn't play.

~I have a Mac Pro. bought in early 2018.
~Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5
~Soundcraft Signature 12 multitrack mixer.
~Latest version of magic as of today, April 29

issue 1 -w sig12 mixer as audio input device) When I load (add) a wav file, nothing happens when I press play, My next response is I close audio input device and then reload it. This makes the time counter play, but I still hear no audio.

issue 1 -w aggregate device as audio input device) Same thing here, when I use an aggregate device in my Mac sound settings, I load magic...it loads aggregate device, I play the loaded wav file, nothing happens...I close audio input device and reload aggregate device....same as above, and the counter plays but I hear no sound.

issue 1 -with either input device) loading the .wav file into the module does cause the module to react to the music, but still no sound out of the speakers.

issue 1 -with an exported .mov) when I export a .mov file with the song loaded into the module, The exported mov file plays with sound and with programmed reactivity from the module as it should.

Somehow Magic isn't playing sound back to me.

~~~~~when I do a speaker test in Mac audio settings, they play just fine. I can hear the white noise from either my mixer or aggregate device.

issue 2 - real time performing) When I select in the input sources the channel 7 (or 8 because my piano is plugged into both channels 7 & 8 in the mixer), and then select that same input in the module, I expect I should be seeing it react to the sound coming through. But it doesn't. This happens both with either mixer or aggregate device.

What might I be missing? Are these two issues related somehow?

I searched the forum for related problems but didn't find anything helpful.

Thanks for your help!

***edited follow up

I download and installed the demo version after reading another member mention this too.

With the demo, I don't have to close the audio input device either, the loaded wav file plays as normal...however, I still do not hear any audio come from magic.

A thing I think might be contributing... my mixer uses channels 11/12 as the output. Does magic have an auto output to channels 1&2 by chance that could be causing there to be no sound to my ch 11&12?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

A thing I think might be contributing... my mixer uses channels 11/12 as the output. Does magic have an auto output to channels 1&2 by chance that could be causing there to be no sound to my ch 11&12?
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the problem.
With the demo, I don't have to close the audio input device either, the loaded wav file plays as normal...however, I still do not hear any audio come from magic.
I have been trying to figure out why the Demo would work better than the full version. I haven't solved it yet but I'm continuing to investigate.

Can you please do me a favor? Run the utility on your Mac called "Audio MIDI Setup", and in the Audio Devices window, click on the output device you're trying to use in Magic, and post a screenshot of it here. Thanks.