Previous topicNext topic

Creating Buildings with the Iterator

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
Sadler

Creating Buildings with the Iterator

Post by Sadler »

Here's a new piece of work. I created this using the iterator to tile images of windows into rectangular planes. You need a lot of discipline to keep within the 3d realm and it is definitely not real-time - render out only.

Terry Payman

Re: Creating Buildings with the Iterator

Post by Terry Payman »

Awesome and inspiring!

Great work Sadler!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes - very excellent.
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

that's really great, congratulations !
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Thanks folks, much appreciated!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Sadler wrote: it is definitely not real-time - render out only.
Remember that you can always set the project to a lower resolution to increase the frame rate, or even better, in the Graphics Resolution dialog, select the "Use size of Magic Window" option so that when you are editing, it uses a very low resolution, but then you can go into fullscreen mode temporarily to see things at a higher resolution.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Thanks Eric. That's certainly worth keeping in mind.

In this instance, with the rotating buildings, reducing (or increasing) the resolution destroys the effect. All the windows get crushed together since I did not use image scaling on the images for the window tiles. They have their own aspect ratio and there are up to three layers for each window in certain bits which are a little easier to match up when they're not auto-scaled.

Also, even on a RTX2080 with throttling set to 1 I'm getting just 5fps. Reducing the resolution down doesn't change that since it seems to be the number of iterations (160 per wall) that is slowing it down. I needed 20 floors on each building so that the ends aren't visible when a wall is coming in to view. So, looking at the GPU and CPU load, it seem Magic is CPU bound with one logical core at full capacity and the GPU bouncing between 30% and 50%.
gpu_bound.jpg
gpu_bound.jpg (113.59 KiB) Viewed 6913 times
I'm sure there are a number of other ways I could optimise it to run at a higher frame rate.