Previous topicNext topic

MacBook M1 and Big Sur compatibility?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
jhinden

MacBook M1 and Big Sur compatibility?

Post by jhinden »

Hi there, my old computer died and was thinking about the Apple’s new M1 and Big Sur but wanted to check on Magic compatibility first. Does Magic work on these computers and will there be any performance benefit? Thanks
Magic
Site Admin

Re: MacBook M1 and Big Sur compatibility?

Post by Magic »

Good question. We haven't tested on any M1 Macs yet -- mainly because we can't optimize Magic for M1 anyway, because it depends on a lot of components that haven't been ported yet.

I'm sure Magic will run fine on M1's, but I have absolutely no idea about the performance. If you can somehow get your hands on a machine for testing and you can install the Magic Demo, I'd be interested to get your feedback here.
jhinden

Post by jhinden »

Thanks. Unfortunately I’m in a place with a shop that has no demo machine. Maybe I’ll get a chance to go to the city and try there, but they didn’t arrive to the shop yet. Will let you know if I do. The most important thing to me is that it works (at least as well as it did on the previous gen MacBook Pro) as I’m in the middle of a project that needs finishing. Unlucky

Btw - when using emoji from keyboard on iPhone on this board it gives a mysql error when publishing the post. Just a headsup in case you were unaware
jhinden

Post by jhinden »

Was reading up a bit on Rosetta mode and thought I’d share what I found in case there is something here that jumps out at you that you may have missed.

“What can’t Rosetta 2 translate?
Rosetta cannot translate kernel extensions or Virtual Machine apps that virtualize x86_64 computer platforms. Developers should be aware that Rosetta is also unable to translate AVX, AVX2, and AVX512 vector instructions. “
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Those things shouldn't matter.

I did a bit more research and I found that Resolume works fine under Rosetta, so I'm betting that Magic will also.
jhinden

Post by jhinden »

Cool thanks. Will let u know how it goes, cheers
jhinden

Post by jhinden »

I can confirm that it’s working under Rosetta just fine. Haven’t given it any real performance test, but will let you know when I do.
jhinden

Post by jhinden »

Noticing a couple issues now that I'm finally up and running, though still haven't given it a proper look. While the app opens and works fine in most cases, there are a few small things I just ran into:

For example:
1. Some of the ISF folder fx appear to not be working. Not sure if this was always the case, but for example the Diagonal blur seems broken and is just a bunch of pixellated noise.
2. The folder drop down seems a bit busted. Appears as if folders within folders are an issue when using additional folders. Perhaps related to the file system and bigsur, more than the M1 but not sure yet.

If you'd like to discuss this or do screen share sometime, feel free to ping me offline, but right now I can't really take the time to test and report issues here. For now I'll have to work around anything that pops up as I have time constraints.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok thanks. I'm not too worried about the ISF stuff because there are always minor issues on some graphics cards.

I'm not sure what you mean by the folder drop-down though? There isn't any folder drop-down in Magic that has to do with the file system.
jhinden

Post by jhinden »

Sorry I meant the 'search/insert' module dropdowns. I didn't have time to analyze it, but my default additional folder structure seemed to display incorrectly and I ended up with lots of subfolders exposed as main folders, to the point where I couldn't find the 'search' option as it was hidden below other items. Anyhow, I restructured my additional folders and it's fine now.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok gotcha, thanks.