Previous topicNext topic

My completely live-edited video project, Unstable Footage

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
kid.danger

My completely live-edited video project, Unstable Footage

Post by kid.danger »

I'm incredibly happy to finally share this with the Magic community. Unstable Footage is a project I took from concept to execution by myself. My goal was to create a live video performance as an experience like you would expect from a musician and their instrument. I worked on it full-time for the past 6 months and it was by far the most difficult project I’ve ever worked on. Unstable Footage follows a scientist (me, but I'm not an actual scientist) as he experiments on the digital memories of a former love (actually my wife haha) which leads to an unexpected manipulation of his own reality.

To summarize, it’s a completely live-edited video performance using a MIDI controller. I shot, created, and composited all of the visuals using a combination of Cinema 4D and After Effects. Mostly After Effects. I used Magic for the final production, which meant that every trigger and every effect was programmed through Magic to my MIDI controller.

The first scene (below), which clocks in at just about 4 minutes, was by far the most complex and time-consuming thing I've created in general. It took me about 2 days to get it dialed in Magic, and that was after already having sketches and digital versions of the "timeline" layout. I honestly feel accomplished just being able to figure it out.
Scene 1
Scene 1
Scene 1.jpg (586.8 KiB) Viewed 6029 times
I’m extremely proud of the way this project turned out. Currently, I’m writing a technical analysis that details each aspect of the project, which I can share here if anyone is interested. If anyone has any questions or comments, I would love to answer them or discuss anything.

-Kid Danger
Terry Payman

Re: My completely live-edited video project, Unstable Footag

Post by Terry Payman »

An awesome and inspirational creative work in concept, scale, depth, content and performance! Congratulations!

The sound mix alone is captivating, with beautifully judged smooth credits. Very tasteful choice and compositing of 3D objects, impressive cinematography and composition in many scenes, great synergy between sound and visual cuts.

May this bring you much paid work!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, very well done! I will post it on the official User Videos page: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/uservideos
kid.danger

Post by kid.danger »

Damn, thanks Terry! I want to print that out and post it on my fridge. Seriously. Thanks for watching it!

Eric, that's awesome! I'll be pumped to see it there.
Natsværmer

Post by Natsværmer »

Hey Kid Danger,

This project is absolutely amazing. My DJ partner and I have watched it so many times and there are quite a few things we cannot work out how you did them. Did you ever publish that technical analysis you have mentioned here and on YouTube? I'd love to have a look if you did.

Thanks!
kid.danger

Post by kid.danger »

Thank you for the kind words, that’s awesome you watched it! I didn’t finish the technical analysis, but I need to. A lot of life happened after this. I bet I could finish it this month, but if there’s anything specific you want to know I’m down to explain if you want to dm me @kid.danger on IG. Regardless, I gotta finish that and post here. I’ll aim for end of the month.
riptide76

Post by riptide76 »

Wow! Blown away! Thanking for sharing and DAMN that is quite a file you have built!