Previous topicNext topic

Ableton Channel Support

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
IvanJones

Ableton Channel Support

Post by IvanJones »

I would like to be able to route audio from a channel in Ableton Live directly into an audio source in MMV. I run a live looping show and would like to be able to design custom visuals for the audio on each ableton channel. I have tried several virtual routing programs to no avail.

Thank you for considering! I think this is a natural use for MMV and some sort of support would be outstanding.
loopdaflar

Re: Ableton Channel Support

Post by loopdaflar »

Are you routing Audio or MIDI or both?

I am in the same boat, and I almost got there.
Are you trying to route tracks directly out of Ableton? Or just from the Audio interface (I use a Focusrite scarlett 2nd gen)? The audio interface matters. I got it to route into Magic with no lag, but there was a static pop noise. I tried a different option in magic for the interface (direct monitoring?) and it sounded great but had an unusable amount of lag into Magic.

I just want to route tracks directly into Magic with no sound quality loss and no time lag.

I'm looking into VB- Cable now.
IvanJones

Post by IvanJones »

For instance, I am using Ableton as a looper for my instruments. I have 8 channels in ableton which are essentially loop banks. I would love to be able to route a signal from each of those individual tracks for use as an audio source in MMV.
IvanJones

Post by IvanJones »

Bump. Any chance of this happening or should I just fugghedaboutit?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

I don't know or own Ableton so I downloaded free Cakewalk to test this. With the help of VoiceMeeter I managed to route separate tracks from that DAW into Magic. Just audio.
voicemeeter.png
voicemeeter.png (13.49 KiB) Viewed 8827 times
I piped them into corresponding Waveforms each with a different source. I could see the different channels in the resultant visuals but I don't know what I'm doing audio/DAW-wise.
IvanJones

Post by IvanJones »

This is fantastic! I have toiled with VM and VBCable with little success. Can you show me your Voicemeeter routings? I have been perplexed by this for quite some time.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Sorry, I've since uninstalled Cakewalk and VoiceMeeter. What I remember is that CW allowed me to enable 4 of 8 outputs to VM (not sure if mono or stereo) in driver preferences. I wasn't sure which routes would work so I just cycled through what was available in Magic and in the CW track list. I used VM potato virtual outputs only. I didn't spend a lot of time testing it.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ableton is too specific for us to support when there are plenty of general-purpose audio routing solutions that work well.

Here is the main thread for this topic in case you haven't seen it: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... p?f=3&t=10
bigjoescientist

Post by bigjoescientist »

@loopdaflar, Can you please share how you routed Scarlett audio to Magic? The Scarlett appears in the Input Sources list, but I believe it's only MIDI (as it allows selection of channels 0-16).
loopdaflar wrote:Are you routing Audio or MIDI or both?

I am in the same boat, and I almost got there.
Are you trying to route tracks directly out of Ableton? Or just from the Audio interface (I use a Focusrite scarlett 2nd gen)? The audio interface matters. I got it to route into Magic with no lag, but there was a static pop noise. I tried a different option in magic for the interface (direct monitoring?) and it sounded great but had an unusable amount of lag into Magic.

I just want to route tracks directly into Magic with no sound quality loss and no time lag.

I'm looking into VB- Cable now.
Robbedit

Post by Robbedit »

Hi,

i'm the same problem, i would do live set visual from audio from Ableton's friend computer and i would undestand how to input audio in my project.

Someone can help me?

I found this topic from this site:

https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10

could be a valid guide?

Thanks
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

From another computer? Just use an audio cable. Any other solution would have latency issues.