Previous topicNext topic

Made my first video

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
jrc

Made my first video

Post by jrc »

Magic is so much fun to use!. Please let me know what you think of music and/or video...brutal honesty always appreciated!
James
Nosneros

Re: Made my first video

Post by Nosneros »

Very nice! I love how you create such depth. Crisp 8-)
artnik

Post by artnik »

Hey James,

I'll give you some critical feedback. I like the music and how tightly coupled the graphics are to it. In particular, the sense of falling endlessly into the mandala is well realized, and is quite clever considering both the title, and the tempo of the music. That's all positive!

if you want brutal honesty, though, here goes...

Almost every first video I've seen posted here is a single scene kaleidoscope combined with a starfield. It's more well realized than most, but beyond that it's difficult for people to give detailed feedback on something they have seen many times before. Even a cursory search would show several first videos similar to yours.

Being constructive, that doesn't impact the deftness with which you've done yours – but you could push it further.

When using common elements, the goal should be to find some unique way of using it that makes it fresh for your audience:

• How can you use these two elements in a novel way to make your fellow artists question how it was done, or how they will use those elements moving forward in their own work?

Can you question the kaleidoscope's essential nature and deconstruct it or build upon it?

Would varying the symmetry of the kaleidoscope create more visual interest? Playing with the number of segments?

Is there a way to delineate the different sections of the song in a more defined way visually, beyond simply altering the intensity or pattern in the kaleidoscope?

Is there a way to vary the starfield that is equally as engaging as the mandala?

I encourage you to keep working with Magic. I'm excited to see what you come up with.

If you haven't yet, do some research into ISF modules (http://www.interactiveshaderformat.com) and the GLSL module (http://shadertoy.com is a great source of inspiration). The modules that ship with Magic are pretty basic, and I suspect that's part of the reason we see so many kaleidoscopes round here. :-)

Seriously though, they are pretty cool, aren't they?! :-)

Cheers!
nik
jrc

Post by jrc »

Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond. I take your point that the visuals are a little hackneyed. I look forward to delving deeper into what is possible for my next project. Thanks for the links.