Previous topicNext topic

prototyping for 2016 live performance

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
blackdot

prototyping for 2016 live performance

Post by blackdot »

i'm gonna do some recordings anyway, so i thought i might as well post them here. this is me prototyping for a live and mostly improvized dj set with 2 friends in july.

i'm trying to devise a system that allows me to react to the music while still keeping it simple enough so that i can do that over a longer period of time. my approach is that i want the visuals to represent the parts and moods of the music, and that changes in the music are reflected in the visuals, all in realtime, nothing scripted. i figured i'll give my self a set of elements that fit all kinds of styles of songs, and introduce them manually, while the parts itself react automatically to the music.

so i started easy, with one song, and only a few elements: one element is an image sequence that i prerendered in blender and which is timed automatically with waveclock, a 3rd-party program that captures the tempo of the music and sends it as beatclock to magic. i manually could enable and disable color here. another element is the blurred background that i start fading in as something starts happening in the background of the music. at some point the 3rd element is introduced by me which should represent that fast-up-and-down-going-sound, and finally as a bit of a climax, that 3rd element is switched to an alternative, also by manual input, and then i kinda botched the end. but i guess it'll do for demo purposes :D.

also i'm not very happy with the aesthetics as it turns out this image sequence look like sanitary pads, but they demonstrate the mechanics.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: prototyping for 2016 live performance

Post by Magic »

That's nice. The synchronization with the beat is good.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

here the next installment. havent found "my style" quite yet, visually speaking.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

next. this is part of the beginning, these two songs are set in stone, what comes after is subject to improvization on the music and as well on the visual side.
beat detection has a bit of a trouble for a moment but it gets better later.
artnik

Post by artnik »

I like it!

Small detail: In the beginning when the point of light in the iris is reacting to the music, you might want to overlay a radial gradient, or a lighter version of the image masked with a radial gradient which reacts in sync, to simulate the dispersion of the light in the lens. It would add a bit of realism to the idea that the reactive light is inside the lens, giving the effect that as it shrinks and grows it's illuminating the scene.

I notice you have done a bloom on the white dots later on in the video. Perhaps it's as simple as adding a bloom to the reactive light in the lens.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

artnik wrote:I like it!

Small detail: In the beginning when the point of light in the iris is reacting to the music, you might want to overlay a radial gradient, or a lighter version of the image masked with a radial gradient which reacts in sync, to simulate the dispersion of the light in the lens. It would add a bit of realism to the idea that the reactive light is inside the lens, giving the effect that as it shrinks and grows it's illuminating the scene.

I notice you have done a bloom on the white dots later on in the video. Perhaps it's as simple as adding a bloom to the reactive light in the lens.
thanks, feedback much appreciated. the thing with that little light is, that i just redid the actual light that's in there. but yes you may be right, it would fit anyway in terms of consistency, as the rest is pretty glowy as well :).
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

exploring further XD
it's an 48 frame animation that's timed with the beatclock/2. made it with blender.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

That's really cool 8-)
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

great ! :)
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

another test:
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

blackdot

Post by blackdot »

my god the things possible XD. i keep losing focus:
artnik

Post by artnik »

That face is so simple, but so effective. Made me smile.