Previous topicNext topic

MMV behind solo instrumentalists.

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
Terry Payman

MMV behind solo instrumentalists.

Post by Terry Payman »

It makes a nice change to work with solo instrumental music.

From the Vimeo description:
My Rainbow Curtain (TM) visuals at the GSMC InFusion event 10th April 2018. The backdrop was far from ideal, being largely matt black drape. Quick grabs from mobile phone!

The final two shots are from my laptop screen, showing the projector feed.
All running real-time using the awesome Magic Music Visuals software magicmusicvisuals.com/

Credits:
Promoter: Graham Steel Music Company
Venue: The Acoustic Couch, Bracknell
Musicians (in order of appearance): Andy Moir, Andy Prince, Amrit Sond
Sadler

Re: MMV behind solo instrumentalists.

Post by Sadler »

Great integration of live video with visuals Terry. I never would have thought Bracknell would be a hotbed of visuals activity! You say the black cloth is non-optimal but it suits your visuals I think and it would be good if the projector throw matched the backdrop.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Many thanks Sadler :)

Good point about the projector throw. It would look much cleaner if the image was just on the black backdrop. I'll try cropping next time I'm projecting on it that way. Changing the actual throw wasn't feasible with the setup I used that day - I just swapped two projectors for two PARs, and couldn't freely position them. Projectors were zoomed to max throw.

For a DJ event at that venue we're considering using a white backdrop. The stage lighting has only on-off control for each lamp, and projection onto black is relatively too faint IMO, at least for a dance event. Going there now to choose ceiling mount location and select lens for my newly-acquired large projector. Finally I can choose lenses, rather than being stuck with a limited zoom range. Perhaps it will even be bright enough to project onto the black :D

Perhaps I need to add a DMX ArtNet interface to my kit, so I can control those pesky lights from Resolume Arena!
visuality

Post by visuality »

I especially like the way you isolated the musician from the backdrop, having a performer in the visual connects the art of the visual to the creator of the music, it creates a harmonious and logical relationship visually, the design of visual unfolds with the experience of the performance, a very nice connection is made, well done.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Very many thanks visuality :D

It's very helpful to have such insightful feedback - it crystalises what were almost sub-concious design objectives.