Previous topicNext topic

Wildcard Visuals for Sounds Good

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
Sadler

Wildcard Visuals for Sounds Good

Post by Sadler »

Here's the first hour of some scenes I put together for a DJ friend's birthday.

This was the first night where I only used Magic and no other visual software. Visuals went as smooth as I could have wished for both the pre-planned sets and the off-the-cuff sets. There were 4 DJs but only one VJ (me) for 5 hours.
W3rD

Re: Wildcard Visuals for Sounds Good

Post by W3rD »

Woah XD blew my mind more than a couple times. Idk what was going on at 45 mins but I loved it. I had a couple questions if you don't mind answering.

I've been trying to figure out how to import textures on my models, but whenever I import them I'm getting just the shape. I believe the problem is on Magic's end but jw if you could share your method?

Also, did you use a similar method to produce the scene with the rotating infinite tunnel of cassettes and the animated texture?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Thanks!

The spinning cassettes I did do in Magic (mostly) but it was a hack facilitated by the boxy nature of the model. The cassette model was untextured but I applied animated textures using multiplied masks with the same rotation as the model. To get the textures to change on each complete rotation I exported each rotation to mp4 and joined them back together in a video editor.

Magic can use textures though - I've used downloaded 3d models with textures, and exported models from Blender and MagicaVoxel. I think there might be a thread here on the forum that gives some pointers.

The bit at 45 mins isn't mine though I am currently trying to recreate the effect in Magic...
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Not very impressive but a semblence. Limitations in object smoothness is the main downfall here but potential with more effort.
W3rD

Post by W3rD »

That's an incredibly creative way to get textures "Yeah we are inside of an elephant" XD I play with Blender for modeling and I found one way to import textures through the Blender internal rendering engine but the cycles engine is where all the nodes and fun stuff are so there is definitely more play to be had for me to be able to work with this technique. Thanks for dropping some knowledge!