Previous topicNext topic

First attempt at a music video using Magic v1.5 Beta

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
Terry Payman

First attempt at a music video using Magic v1.5 Beta

Post by Terry Payman »

First attempt at a music video using Magic v1.5 Beta with FreeFrame GL plugins and Shadertoy GLSL shaders.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: First attempt at a music video using Magic v1.5 Beta

Post by Magic »

Wow, that's really great! Very creative. Thanks for sharing.

I love the halftone effect, is it an FFGL plugin?

Eric
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Hey, thanks Eric.

Halftone effect is indeed an FFGL plugin: Resolume AVFFGLDotScreen from Avenue 4.

Very many thanks for the FFGL capability - it's hugely helpful, and was essential to most of the scenes in this video.

Terry
stevie777

Post by stevie777 »

Really great! How many sences have you needed and how much time to create the clip?
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Many thanks stevie777!

There were about 40 active scenes altogether, but some just had components for compositing in more complex scenes. 30 scenes are on the actual timeline, excluding my credit at the end.

I worked for at least three solid days, and there were at least two all-night sessions as well, but I was learning the Magic program, finding and testing FFGL plugins, developing ideas and learning to use Photoshop for 3D and transparency.

I should have logged and timed the exercise properly, but didn't. It started just as a series of experiments around the idea of making a video from only a song and its album art. It was quite late in the process that I realised I had more than enough material to actually compile a usable video. I made a rough cut, watched it a few times the following day, then slightly re-worked the sections that seemed weakest and timing that felt wrong.

Only the start and end scenes were developed with any thought of where in the song they would be used. The other scenes are in more-or-less in the chronological order of my experiments, and are often not shown at their best (ie the scenes work better with different parts of the music). Generally I didn't re-tune the scenes for optimum results with the part for the song when they are actually visible.

Terry