Previous topicNext topic

VRLENS MONITORS Mirrorbox Video Kaleidoscopes

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
artnik

VRLENS MONITORS Mirrorbox Video Kaleidoscopes

Post by artnik »

I present to you VRLENS Monitors.

It's been a while since I've posted. My latest project has been about using MMV to drive analogue video filter mirrorbox kaleidoscopes mounted onto LCD panels. They are laser-cut, and viewers use a small "peep show" window to look into the virtual, infinite spaces within the boxes. For more information check out http://nikharron.com/vrlens-monitors/. The videos themselves are very simple, and all the magic happens through the repeated reflections through the custom apertures, i.e. hole patterns cut into the boxes.

Here's a video of what the viewer sees:

Here's a pic of one of the VRLENS monitors, and of the three monitors on display at http://www.THEMUSEUM.ca:
VRLENS_THEMUSEUM_01LO.jpg
VRLENS_THEMUSEUM_01LO.jpg (186.89 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
VRLENS_THEMUSEUM_02LO.jpg
VRLENS_THEMUSEUM_02LO.jpg (236.37 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
There are 3 different models, with a fourth one in progress. With about 20 abstract loops, the total viewing time for each box is 4:20. I'm remounting them at the NIGHT\SHIFT Placehacking Festival this November, in the Waterloo Region in Ontario, Canada's "Silicon Valley North". http://nightshiftwr.ca

I've also been working on prototype hand-held versions for use with any image source, whether being used as a regular kaleidoscope, or in conjunction with a video screen:
damstraversaz

Re: VRLENS MONITORS Mirrorbox Video Kaleidoscopes

Post by damstraversaz »

that's really beautiful...a fantastic work, congratulations !
visuality

Post by visuality »

As usual really incredible stuff Nick, hope you have a installation in Manhattan sometime, keep us informed.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Would like to see something like this in the flesh because the video doesn't grab me. Don't get me wrong, its a very interesting idea and execution but I would have hoped to see more surprising kaleidoscopic interaction between the visuals and the mirrors and the viewers eye. I've watched through a few times now and for sure there are some nice effects in there and I love the intrigue created by the boxes and their viewing windows.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Sadler wrote:Would like to see something like this in the flesh because the video doesn't grab me.
That's a fair criticism, and a bang on observation Sadler. This was a quick and dirty clip, but I don't think video is ever going do justice to the effect because it can never capture the three dimensionality of it. The boxes are large enough that viewers can change focus and really play with their gaze in the box. I have been thinking about how to shoot it better, but given that the viewport is sealed with a clear cover, I'm limited to placing the camera outside the box. I think that some kind of pan in showing the whole box, and ending with the view inside, combined with some focus adjustments to show depth of field might work. But I'd have to rig some kind of DIY dolly.