Previous topicNext topic

New visuals: frequency matching with old newsreel

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
OblongBox

New visuals: frequency matching with old newsreel

Post by OblongBox »

This was a Boomtown Rats track deconstructed/folded in on itself -

The video is of old Dublin in the 1960s I think.

The FX are matched to different frequencies with the colour RGB matched to the very highest band so the only come in a very seldom times and then, only ever so slightly.

I wired the modules a bit voodoo due to shaking and screaming at a computer melting from ill-advised El Capitan updated so I think I might have wired some backwards and forwards. I'm not even sure

The export/render was done to MP4 at 1920 x 1080 which seems to be giving better results than the previous 1280/80 740 or something.

At the same time though, with a computer dedicated almost completely to export, it took about 18 hours to export to mp4.

Also thanks to Magic email support for being cool af.

artnik

Re: New visuals: frequency matching with old newsreel

Post by artnik »

Hey, welcome to MMV.

I've given this constructive criticism a few times before: that is a long time to expect a viewer to look at what is essentially one effect.

Try switching it up, or evolving the effect to move through stages that, while still directly driven to the source audio, give the chance for the viewer to be surprised, or taken on a visual as well as auditory journey. Think about the structure of the music, how it has sections or movements and tie different effects, or different versions of the same effect, to those sections and transitions.

Thanks for posting! I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Cheers.
OblongBox

Re: New visuals: frequency matching with old newsreel

Post by OblongBox »

Hi,

Thanks for the criticism - there's 6 fx here with their different aspects all matched to different frequencies.

For example, the colour rgb was put to the highest frequencies so it would only come in as subtle drifts as part of the overall aesthetic of the noise deconstruction.

It was mapped carefully so that the fx would warp at speeds pertaining to the frequency busyness within the noise.

As it is a noise deconstruction of Boomtown Rats polemic on Ireland and the fact that things change but do not in a nauseating fashion, we covered the narrative structure of applying and warping an old vintage tour of Dublin according to our aesthetic.