Previous topicNext topic

Her OS - Midi Controlled Video

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
Scotty_123

Her OS - Midi Controlled Video

Post by Scotty_123 »

This proof of concept video is for an original song for my upcoming album ... the song is called Her OS... inspired by the movie. Apart from small movie clips and graphics this video was made entirely within Magic using midi and audio inputs from my digital audio workstation. There are 16 elements that are being controlled by midi control change messages. I roughed in the transitions using he knobs on my keyboard controller and captured them in Cubase. I monitored Magic in real time by routing the midi through LoopBe. I then tweaked the control curves to make the transitions and elements respond more accurately. Loopbe complained that I was overloading the midi channel so I had to use the functions in Cubase to thin out the control change automation. Once I had the "performance" I exported the midi as a file. Then I took the audio and midi and loading them into a new version of the Magic project so that it was self contained and exported at 12fps to get the aesthetic I was going after.

The new effects and filters in 2.1 are fantastic.

I'll update the video when I finish the song. I'll be adding the synthesized vocals and a midi triggered text layer to the video.

skarabee

Re: Her OS - Midi Controlled Video

Post by skarabee »

Nice vid and good work with midi and audio. I also work with cubase and midi and used the same method, but I gave up with LoopBe. Instead I use 2 computers.
Can't wait to see the final video.
Scotty_123

Post by Scotty_123 »

I am thinking of going the dual computer route. The new Ryzens are excellent workstation machines, I need something that scales across multi processors. The video creation is new territory for me as my prime mover is making the music but it is fascinating learning Magic and the Adobe suite of software. Time is precious and I keep going down new rabbit holes. Skarabee, thanks again for commenting and chiming in. It is really appreciated.

I am thinking of the doing the text layers by triggering them with midi note data but developing an effect chain and a positional mapping approach to move , scale and effect each word of the lyrics might be challenging in Magic. It may be easier to do that in After Effects, render it out and then place it in the Magic project.... Still scratching my head on this one. - Scotty
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

I would say, if you are sure about your text motion, and fast enough with After Effects, the rendered video is the more simple approach and less time consuming. However, if you want to test some effects in place, doing it in Magic can be also effective, once your setup is fine.

The almost endless possibilities in Magic changed my way of thinking about a final project. I'm now patient enough to take time for studying, testing, and making templates scenes that can be later used in a whole project.

About the 2 computers; I'm in the same boat, having a rock-solid machine in my music studio and working with an old laptop for spare project. Now, Magic catched me and I'm thinking about a new laptop. Still don't know wich model to choose...
The advantage, apart from the midi thing, is to be able to build projects for live use with my band, and then bring the laptop on stage with some light midi controllers. Also, I want to keep my studio computer dedicated to audio only.