Previous topicNext topic

Magic Keyboard source

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
skarabee

Magic Keyboard source

Post by skarabee »

As promised, here is a 39 keys visual keyboard, reacting to midi notes from a controler or a midifile. This is the base project I've used for my videos. I do't know how to add 3d files in attachment, so I used a simple polygon. Just replace it with your 3D model.

3 scenes, one for the model basic settings, one for the key mapping , one for the final render.
I will release other type of keyboards in 2 scenes form (settings and mapping). You will just have to import them in this project and connect the relevant keyboard in the main scene.
Attachments
Magic Midi Keyboard.txt
help file (for the Help scene)
(572 Bytes) Downloaded 443 times
Magic 39 midi keyboard.magic
(14.52 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
Trygve

Re: Magic Keyboard source

Post by Trygve »

Awesome ! Can't wait to try it out....
Trygve

Post by Trygve »

Sorry, can't make it work... Besides the missing 3d model, as u stated, also missing Magic Piano.mid, but I guess it is supposed to work with any midi files? From what I saw in ur video, it's not an ordinary keyboard, so I guess we need that 3d model to make it work... Tried to load in a 3d Piano and disconnect the Polygon, but nothing is visible... If the Polygon is connected, only a little pink and red think blinking up and down to some of the notes....
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

here is the link to the .3ds file I used (a simple cylinder)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-sV2 ... nVmZldOLWM

Using the polygon, you should see at least a rank of 39 polygons in the Keyboard39 scene. Do you have it?

The 39 notes are mapped starting from midi note 36. Depending on your keyboard this could be C1 orC2.

This is the midilfile used for the demo:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-sV2 ... VRXdUhUMGM

Any midi file should work anyway, I tried with several files.
Trygve

Post by Trygve »

Actually, I think I am not the right to review this right now, because I have so many issues with my laptop... Reformatted last night, but still there is something wrong... When I installed and started up MMV again, I got an error message telling me there might be some outdated drivers....Cant remember exactly what... However, it was better today when I tried to run the project... At least I could see some movement to the midi... But nothing near what it is supposed to be... Anyone else have tested it with success?

It seems to be better or respond better when I change some of the parameters. For example, when I change from velocity to notes, it respond much better, but much of the movement goes up in the right upper corner and some out of sight.... In the keyboard window, I see the 39 polygons resting at the bottom for a while, then it goes up and change color. When I stop the midi, it rest a bit up from bottom, and when I plays it change color and goes a little bit up and down at the bottom.... Anyway, I learn a little by changing stuff and see what happens... Cant wait til I have a grip over this awesome stuff... When will u have MK4 project files ready?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

I gave it a quick try out and it worked perfectly. Don't have too much use for visualising midi myself but it is interesting nonetheless. There's another thread requesting a repeater type module (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1204) which, if a range of midi notes or CCs could be applied to each instance, would make creating instrument type effects potentially a lot easier - assuming that the instrument uses a contiguous range of values. Just a thought!
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Yes, Sadler, I saw this topic and was also thinking how easy it could be to do with a repeater, as long as one can specify incremental midi notes.