Previous topicNext topic

Dual Shock 3 Test

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
BaconMKII

Dual Shock 3 Test

Post by BaconMKII »

I mapped some sliders to the joystick axes and used it to control the translate, scale, hue properties.
I'm still trying to figure out the best way to map the other controller buttons to something other than a slider.

In most of these examples, you can see the objects moving along the z-axis to the audio input.
Then I added further z-axis control by setting it so whenever I tilted the whole controller forward or back towards me, it reacted accordingly.
Keep in mind that with the joysticks on gamepads, theyre always going to try and return to 0 when idle, unless you specify otherwise.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Dual Shock 3 Test

Post by Magic »

That's cool, I especially like how the skull moves around.

What software do you use to translate the joystick into MIDI?
BaconMKII

Post by BaconMKII »

Im using a combination of Fergo JoystickMidi, PS3to Midi, and LoopMidi. And then the drivers for the ps3 controller, which are usually set to Custom-Default.
I found that having two modules for each axis resulted in better control. But I get the feeling that the setup could be refined further with less modules.
Attachments
Ps3_magic.jpg
Ps3_magic.jpg (254.98 KiB) Viewed 7620 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Thanks, I'm sure that will be helpful to a bunch of people -- including me :).
They Said They Saw

Post by They Said They Saw »

Hey, I am looking to do the same but using the xy pad from touchosc but I have trouble as the output signal gives the same value to X & Y, which means the object moves only on diagonal.

Did you had any similar issues or in your case or your software managed it by itself?

if not, how did you sorted it?

Thanks!

Miguel
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Unfortunately Magic can't detect X vs Y in those cases. But, you can just use the TouchOSC editor app to figure out what MIDI command it's sending, and then you can manually select the command in Magic.
TouchOSC.png
TouchOSC.png (78.35 KiB) Viewed 6514 times
If you click on the "Enabled" drop-down box above, you can see the different settings for Value X vs Value Y.