Previous topicNext topic

music visuals using magic

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
chitusaxena

music visuals using magic

Post by chitusaxena »

Hello People!

Made a video using magic visuals, plz have a look and plz let me know what do u think.. :P :D :)

artnik

Re: music visuals using magic

Post by artnik »

First off, I love the sense of depth you got from the layered/blurred lotus images. That is awesome!
I also like the subtle use of kaleidoscope with the imagery on the edges. It's a nice use of that module that really adds to the piece, instead of being the main effect.

Critical feedback:
  • 7 minutes is a long time to stare at what is essentially, the same thing. I suggest varying it up, with different sections as the music changes. You can reuse the same imagery, but try different transforms. Also, you have a number of elements that could show a more pronounced response to the music. For example, the chakras could pulse in response to several different frequency bands, making them act like a level meter of sorts.

At the beginning, the transform of the lotus imagery feels a little jumpy for such smooth drone sounds. Consider having the rotations only occur in one direction, driven by the volume, and not twitching back and forth. The twitching matches well to the bass line later on, and creating a contrast between how they act would reinforce the structure of the music.

After the beat comes in, the magnitude of the transforms doesn't seem to reflect the change in dynamics, it still feels like it's on the same scale as the introductory drone sequence. I'd suggest more dramatic transforms from that point onward to match the feel of the beat.

I notice that after the beat comes in, the rotations seem to rotate a long way at first, then seem pinned to that with only minor variation, fading back a long way in the quiet bits. Perhaps incorporate a logarithmic response so that there's a wider range of motion overall.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

I agree with artnik's critique. Given this sort of ambience I might try to animate the central figure more, perhaps like this...
chitusaxena

Post by chitusaxena »

Hello Artnik and Sadler ,

Thank you for your feedback.

I agree with you, 7 min for the same visual is a very long time. i am looking and trying out newer techniques which can help me with this issue. As of now the only way i can achieve this is by rendering out different videos from magic visuals with different settings and then editing them into a single video.

Is there any way i can achieve the same result in magic visuals without the need of rendering different videos ad them editing them later ?

I already have a sample video where i am using a fractal GLSL, and then merging it with a clip which i edited in after effects beforehand. plz have a look and let me know what u think.

Animating the central figure is a very good idea.. why didnt i think of this before. :oops:
Also, apologies for the late reply, got caught in the new year celebrations.. :|

artnik

Post by artnik »

Yes. The PLAYLIST WINDOW allows you to set up several scenes and transition between them. Using the Auto Advance and Playback Control options you can scrub through your audio and it will automatically transition based on the setting in the playlist window. It works with Movie Export, or you can also transition between scenes during a live performance.

Here's the User Guide entry for it: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... listWindow
chitusaxena

Post by chitusaxena »

oh nice! this is exactly what i was looking for.. thank you so much. now back to drawing board. :lol: :D
artnik

Post by artnik »

Without reading the whole thing I'd be worth your while to peruse the top-level descriptors in the manual just to get an overview of everything Magic has to offer. :-)