Previous topicNext topic

live input selecting

Live performances or exported movies created with Magic.
blackdot

live input selecting

Post by blackdot »

this is me playing around with the input selector, selecting inputs live. the inputs are synced to the beat with waveclock.

Magic
Site Admin

Re: live input selecting

Post by Magic »

That is really great! :o

Also I like how you included the webcam, very helpful and interesting.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Eric wrote:That is really great! :o

Also I like how you included the webcam, very helpful and interesting.
thanks. i figured it helps to better understand what is going on.

also it helps me realize how sausagy my fingers actually are XD
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

What did you use to capture the video? It looks quality.
the inputs are synced to the beat with waveclock
I, certainly, would appreciate hearing more about how you synced the video - I'm not that au fait with waveclock.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Sadler wrote:What did you use to capture the video? It looks quality.
the inputs are synced to the beat with waveclock
I, certainly, would appreciate hearing more about how you synced the video - I'm not that au fait with waveclock.
i captured the desktop with nvidia shadowplay (as of the most recent geforce xperience version, it just a capture&share feature within that).
the pic-in-pic is just my mobile phone on an improvised stand. i synced that to the main capture manually in a video editing software.

waveclock is a pretty cool piece of software that listens to sound (any sound source, e.g. mic in or stereo mix) and estimates the beats/the speed and outputs this as a regular midi beatclock, all in realtime. which can be routed into magic via loopBe.

the beatclock is basically a value that is 1 on each beat, then slowly decreaces to 0 and then jumps back to 1. i use it to drive the index of jpg sequences. example: i have a image sequence that is "made for" two beats (visually speaking), it's 30 frames long. i have the beatclock as input for the index of the jpg sequence. i set the feature to beatclock /2. i add a invert modifier (so the values go from 0 to 1/0 to 1, instead of 1 to 0/1 to 0), i add a multiply modifier, set to 30, so it uses all 30 frames of the sequence. voila. (actually i have made better experience with a multiply modifier n-0.5 and then step 0.5. in this case that would be multiply by 29.5, then step 0.5).
hope this helps :)
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Nice one - thanks for the explanation. I did try waveclock a while ago and again just now after your post - wasn't 100% satisfied with its tracking and still not really - looks like you're getting better results.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

it depends a bit on the music, but if it's distinctive enough, it seems to work pretty well.