Previous topicNext topic

Video playpointer

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Reigel

Video playpointer

Post by Reigel »

I often are in a situation where I run out of video during a scene. This is because the music is improvised and could last 3 minutes or 10, I never know. To avoid some unpleasant jumps in the visual I would like to see how much video is left so I could react some way on the situation. So an infobar or countdown or something similar would be very helpful.

I also find it a good addition to the simple looping function if a video would not jump to the beginning but just play reverse. This would avoid jumps in the visual too. Of course I could do that by hand. But since I do not see where in the video I am the trigger would be just a wild guess and could be late or early - and I would have to watch the infobar all the time which distracts me from my work.

Thanks
Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Video playpointer

Post by Magic »

I often are in a situation where I run out of video during a scene. This is because the music is improvised and could last 3 minutes or 10, I never know. To avoid some unpleasant jumps in the visual I would like to see how much video is left so I could react some way on the situation. So an infobar or countdown or something similar would be very helpful.
Sure, I've been thinking about adding a new type of module parameter which only displays status info from the module, so maybe it would be appropriate here.
I also find it a good addition to the simple looping function if a video would not jump to the beginning but just play reverse. This would avoid jumps in the visual too. Of course I could do that by hand. But since I do not see where in the video I am the trigger would be just a wild guess and could be late or early - and I would have to watch the infobar all the time which distracts me from my work.
Ok, I'll think about this, but just be aware that playing videos in reverse is extremely inefficient (uses a lot of CPU), and only works for a few formats.

For the absolute best control, you should use the JpegFolder module, which can play backwards just as well as forwards, and skip around quickly. You can set up a Triangle Oscillator on the Index parameter so that it bounces back and forth as you described.
Reigel

Re: Video playpointer

Post by Reigel »

Ok, status info sounds good.

Well, good to know that reverse play is not a good idea. So I will figure out another way to solve this problem, maybe with the JPEG folder as You said.
Thanks
Reinhard