Previous topicNext topic

Kinect?

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
cosmicinsight

Kinect?

Post by cosmicinsight »

What about using microsofts Kinect to control rigged 3d models? Probably not in the books for 2.0 but it would be an awesome feature to have in the program. Or if there are any 3rd party apps people could recommend that would be nice. (free-cheap preferably but will hear out anything)

thanks in advance!
Sadler

Re: Kinect?

Post by Sadler »

Vizikord has spout capability. It isn't absolutely geared toward visuals - more party games where the audience interacts. It is due to upgrade to version 3.0 soon but the version 2, while a bit cluncky, has quite good Kinect support.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

There are quite a few results here on the forums when searching for "Kinect". Here's one with a link I found to a Kinect-to-MIDI utility: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=735&p=3239&hilit=kinect#p3237 . I don't have a Kinect so I haven't tried it -- let me know if it works! :) If so, I'm sure it would be helpful for others.
dj0le

Post by dj0le »

Cosmicinsight

For 3d rigging, you might want to look into Blender (free 3d modelling software) + Ni Mate (not free). Ni-Mate is a plug-in that allows you to import the Kinect skeletal data directly and it can then be rigged to any model you want. Here's the plug-in address:

https://ni-mate.com/

Otherwise, if you want to use the other features of the Kinect in Magic, you can get a long way using the Processing Library and Spout to get it into Magic:

http://codigogenerativo.com/code/kinect ... g-library/
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Not skeletal data or depth sensor but with the latest driver (2.2.1608.31000), which I assume came with the Anniversary update, Magic now sees the Kinect V2 camera directly (as a webcam) and it scales to the comp without issue. I am assuming to a certain extent that it's the driver version that's improved things for me but a few other things have changed so I can't be 100% sure.