Previous topicNext topic

360 Panorama Photos!

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Fractal Grinder

360 Panorama Photos!

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Hey I've been making these 360 Panorama Fractals in Mandelbulb, and they are super cool, you can look around with your Mouse and stuffffff.... I feel like if it was possible to use the 360 data or whatever (I'm by no means on expert on how the 360 of this works or anything really besides how to create them) and get these photos into Magic, and use all the effects and weapons I've created on these Fractals, I could do some really amazing things...

Is this something that we can look into??

I maybe willing to work on some 360 Fractals for you to use in Magic in some sample projects if you would be willing to work on this for me =]

Let me know whats up!!

You can add me on Facebook too if you want to see what im talking about,, currently thats the only place I know of that can host these photos with 360 compatibility, and I haven't posted any publicly, all on my private page so far.. Just send me a message if you are interested, Eric.
artnik

Re: 360 Panorama Photos!

Post by artnik »

Hey Fractal Grinder.

I did some experimenting a while back with implementing cube map skyboxes into Magic. You can create a convincing 360 effect with 6 cubemap images, one for each side of the cube. if you can get your software to render the six images, you're golden. :-)

For converting to and from cubemap formats, I highly recommend Flaming Pear's Flexify 2 plugin for Photoshop:http://www.flamingpear.com/flexify-2.html

The MAGIC file is annotated, but essentially the file makes a cube out of 6 planes with controllable viewpoint.

Here's a good source for maps for you to test it out: http://www.custommapmakers.org/skyboxes.php
CubeMap_Skybox.magic
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 745 times
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

my first guess would also be to have a qube or sphere surrounding everything, where yould put up a texture.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Yeah, that's pretty much how it's done in most cases. It's one of those feature requests where it can already be accomplished with the software as is, although with a little bit of effort.

The implementation I've posted is easy to work with, and there's a ton of cubemaps available. I've used this approach, along with Luma Keying, to make more complex setups by nesting the boxes.

Flexify 2 can convert between pretty much any format, and making cubemap images from equirectangular or spherical panoramas is a one click operation.
Fractal Grinder

Hmm I'll look into that, but I still think its worth the request..

If Facebook has the power to just take a single Panorama photo and give you the ablility to look around in 3D space, I feel like a super powerful software like Magic certainly should be able to do the same thing.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I'll be happy to look into this when I can, but features with reasonable workarounds generally receive a lower priority on my list.
Fractal Grinder

Yeah its honestly not a big deal to me, I found a way to work them into Resolume pretty well. But I still like working in Magic and the more varation and ways I can do stuff the better. If it happens it happens, im cool either way.
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Oh, Fractal Grinder, I would love to know how you work with it inside of Resolume...
An I agree on the fact that it is very nice to work inside of Magic, instead of working on two platforms.

All the best.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Progress!

I have been messing with some code from Shadertoy and am getting close to perfecting a 360 panorama viewer which takes a single Equirectangular (Spherical) Panorama image as input.

Given that the image format expects an image that's 2:1 to tweak it you may have to add a SCALE module to squeeze the X-Axis to eliminate the visible seam (see example image).

Right now the main issue is getting it to automatically center on the x-origin, so I've included a parameter for adjusting where the X-Axis of the origin lies.

I have ported the code to .IFS format. The module can be downloaded here: https://www.interactiveshaderformat.com/sketches/1269
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 7.59.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 7.59.25 PM.png (992.57 KiB) Viewed 22536 times
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Nice work Artnik. Looking forward to play with it : )

Could a 360 camera be the "image source". Or is it a still image that is required?

All the best.
artnik

Post by artnik »

It takes a still image, but I've passed other modules through it after mirroring their output to eliminate seams.

I'm curious, what do you mean by a 360 degree camera? If it's output is formatted as an equirectangular image it should work fine.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Thanks for this - works great. It would be great to see this interact with 3D models with environment lighting or even some sort of light wrap or projection.
Fractal Grinder

Dude WHAT!!!?!?!?! Artnik that is sweet from what I can tell looking on the ISF site. I'm about to add it to Magic and see how it works with my content..

And D1gits I just placed the 360 photo in a spingy sphere (or whatever its called) and tweaked the settings, the result isn't exactly what I wanted but it still works pretty well.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Excited to see what you do with it Fractal Grinder. :-)
TEHK

Post by TEHK »

I've tried the ISF plugin as mentioned here, looks awesome... but, I'm curious how I can load an actual cubemap into an ISF like this one from shadertoy? https://www.shadertoy.com/view/ld3SDl